Thinking about running a single 8" sub powered by ~150W RMS. Suggestions?

phenryiv1
10+ year member

Custom user title
My situation: 2011 WRX hatchback. I carry a lot of kid stuff (strollers, toys), gym bag, groceries, etc. I was planning on an underseat box but could not get the airspace that I needed. Next was a shallow sub (preferrably an SQ10, which is on perpetual backorder) in a fiberglass spare tire enclosure, but the cost/time was too high for the return on investment, plus I was having trouble finding another shallow sub in my price range that I wanted to use in the spare.

Now I am considering a small enclosure (less than 0.4 cubes, if possible) with a single 8" sub that can be run by a 50x4 amp with 2 channels bridged to the sub. Front channels will power a set of CSX 265 components.

Budget: I'd like to keep it in the $100 range. Less is better, but looking around $100. This does NOT include the price of the box.

Box size: Around 0.4 cubic feet.

Power: Will see around 150-200W RMS

Listening: Rock/alternative. Does not need to be crazy loud. I am getting old and have young children, so I am not looking to shake the neighborhood.

Vehicle: 2011 WRX hatch

Other: If the driver is a shallow mount or can work in a depth of 3.5" it is a bonus, because then I can build a spare tire enclosure at my leisure and transfer the sub there when I complete the spare tire enclosure. By the way, I CAN be swayed to a single 10" as opposed to the 8" option.

I have been considering the ED e3.8, but I can't find reviews here through search.

I saw some other possible options browsing on here, but I want to see what suggestions I can gather on here.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Current Contenders:

ED e3.8

Alpine Type R

Sundown E8 v2

Polk MM840

Last edited by a moderator:
yep those are the ones. I've owned a couple of E8's and they're very nice ported, never tried one sealed. The Alpine looks really nice I've seen alot of good comments, even Jacob owner of Sundown said it looks like a well built good speaker. There is a thread over on DIYMA where the engineer from alpine answers questions about them and what not. The ID8's just have a great reputation of being great sounding subs... I've never seen anything bad about them really.

i have a brand new rockford fosgate he2 8" sub. never seen power. takes 500 rms. will sound just fine on 200 rms. ill take 100 shipped even for it. pm me if interested please

Audioque 8"and RE audio 8"

both fit the bill
I looked at the RE 8 but it cannot be configured to a single 4-ohm load. With me bridging 2 channels, the 4 ohm DVC configuration leaves me at 1 orm or 4. Amp can't handle 1 and won't be maximized at 4.

I'll look into the other one. Thanks!

I would probably go with the ID8, they are known for good sound quality woofers. Although my opinion is very biased.. I've only heard these once and they sounded pretty clean. I have never owned one.

Otherwise i'd probably go with the alpine.

I would probably go with the ID8, they are known for good sound quality woofers. Although my opinion is very biased.. I've only heard these once and they sounded pretty clean. I have never owned one.
Otherwise i'd probably go with the alpine.
My last ID sub (an ID10) was good. not great- good.

I expected to be blown away after all that I had read, btu I was underwhelmed with it in the trunk of my SpecV and seeing about 150-200W RMS. It may have been other factors, but I just was not wowed.

Perhaps in the hatch I will feel differently.

I actually plan to try to see if I can get my local B&M shop to match or get close to online prices for the TypeR. If so, that will be an easy choice since I can get it locally and can just pay cash.

ohhh gzz why you refer it like that.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif my amp dosent see anything ...

I looked at the RE 8 but it cannot be configured to a single 4-ohm load. With me bridging 2 channels, the 4 ohm DVC configuration leaves me at 1 orm or 4. Amp can't handle 1 and won't be maximized at 4.
I'll look into the other one. Thanks!
Uhh what? A single DVC 4 ohm sub can be wired to 2 ohms or 8 ohms. Most amps bridged put out their power at 4 ohms. You need either a SVC 4 ohm sub or a DVC 2 ohm sub for a final 4 ohm load.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.