Thinking about going Fi Q 12"

Participant count
  • Participants list
Ive had a sub before in the 40s. Didnt like the fact that some songs I listened to, It just couldnt hit the lows. It almost sounded bottomed out.
Punchier in the 40's is what I meant... some subs can be punchier than others with the same 32hz tune for example, one can dig super well and another be more musical with some decent extension. Yep... a 40hz tune will tend to be less than ideal under say... 35hz and cause lots of issues if you continue to wang-away without the Ssf set and no clue as to what limits should be observed in your music at higher levels of volume especially.
I'd lean towards communicating your listening tastes/goals to your enclosure designer... hell... the enclosure is a HUGE part of your setup... no joke... it can make or break everything Imo.

Informative. Thank you. Hm, thats something to think about for sure. Well i suppose, Last thing would be. Something similar to what youve stated you had. An Fi BL thats more daily than SPL but can SPL when needed. Would that suit me better than that SSA Icon u recommended? I also originally stated the Amp was negotiable, so if that rated power isnt enough for either of those two subs, I can up it. But for your personal ear, if they were both placed in the same box(since a box is probably 70% of the sound) with like power, would there be a noticeable difference when playing hip hop from 28-45hz and say classical from 25-40hz? Just wondering if maybe one of those tends to be a bit more 'musical' than the other or maybe one just prefers low/high end and not the other. Kinda echoing your first sentence in a way. Out of those two subs, what would the characteristics tend to be? Because if there wont be any noticeable difference, Im leaning more towards the Fi BL for monetary reasons. If there is such a difference then maybe id lean the other way

the FI BL is probably something that'll like more power than 1200w. That said... maybe consider a Ssa demon instead if its going to be a 1200 watt amp, the Icon should like 1.5-2K amp both 2ft3 net or so tuned low-mid 30's.
JMO btw... If you are married to Fi as an option maybe consider an X12?.. idk really... I have 0 exp with that sub but it sure looks good to me.

Damn. That almost ***** to hear. lol Thanks though. I sincerely appreciate all the input. I guess that sounds like I need to reconsider the power Im going to be getting if youre recommending subs in the low $200 range. The SSA demon is only 550w also. And the Icon, damn. 2k? So either way it sounds like I should get a 2k amp to even consider either of these two subs. I looked into that X12. 1000w rms, specs dont look horrible then again, im not entirely sure what im looking at lol. Was only married to Fi as an option because of the Q/BL. Ive always heard of the legendary BTL. So thats what lead me there. Im sure ill research even more to death than i already have. Thanks for your info and hopefully i understand more of your reasoning so I can pass that little amount of knowledge I gain, onto someone else in need. Everything you said will be taken into consideration. @ 2k the BL should be alright but still want more, from what you said. And im kinda leaning towards that. With the Icon being a close second.

I can help on SSA specific questions. Our Icon is fine on less than 1000 watts for daily needs. We also have the SSA Gcon that is made here in the USA and has upgrade options available.

apologies. Was under the impression you could send private msgs on this board. I typed up a long msg but i suppose ill write it all out here. here goes..

Ive pretty much narrowed it down to just a couple subs. I know you are a SSA guy and thats ok by me. But going in a general sense, Im torn between the Fi BL and the SSA Icon. Im doing so much research, my head is splitting lol. Id prefer to have either sub in a 2.3ish cuft maybe 2.5 ported box. Tuned around 32hz? Everyone likes lows, but I dont want it to be similar to the Fi Q im hearing where its a monster down super low but struggles up top. I know thats more enclosure talking there, but Ive heard from different applications that It just doesnt reach high. I wanted something similar to my SPG 555 that I had. Very SQ oriented but SPL enough for me. Rivaled the W7 from what I understand. Hopped in a friends car a month ago, and I decided after maybe 5 years of being out of the game, I wanted to get back into it. He had two Sundown SA-12 in a probox (yuck) on a massive audio amp. So im sure that probox was tuned in the 45+ range. Ew. It sounded alright but just, Was missing that oomph. Enclosure. Obviously. Granted, my SPG was in a very very very small box, like, maybe 1cuft sealed, maybe smaller to be honest on about 700w rms and it POUNDED!

Too much backstory.....i digress.....Looking at these particular subs, I left the Fi Q alone. SQ may be on par with the SPG but it doesnt sound like loudness will be. So thats a no no for me. Fi BL or SSA Icon. Im not sure which would be better for me, for what im searching for. I dont have an amp and that can be whatever watts it needs to be at whatever ohm. So im starting from scratch. No midbass drivers. Nothing. Just need to know which sub has what qualities in a given situation. Is one more on the Low end side but struggles up top? or are they both so similar that itll be left up to the design of the enclosure to determine the sound? Because if they are that dead even, then no need to have a lengthy explanation. sorry so much

apologies. Was under the impression you could send private msgs on this board. I typed up a long msg but i suppose ill write it all out here. here goes..

Ive pretty much narrowed it down to just a couple subs. I know you are a SSA guy and thats ok by me. But going in a general sense, Im torn between the Fi BL and the SSA Icon. Im doing so much research, my head is splitting lol. Id prefer to have either sub in a 2.3ish cuft maybe 2.5 ported box. Tuned around 32hz? Everyone likes lows, but I dont want it to be similar to the Fi Q im hearing where its a monster down super low but struggles up top. I know thats more enclosure talking there, but Ive heard from different applications that It just doesnt reach high. I wanted something similar to my SPG 555 that I had. Very SQ oriented but SPL enough for me. Rivaled the W7 from what I understand. Hopped in a friends car a month ago, and I decided after maybe 5 years of being out of the game, I wanted to get back into it. He had two Sundown SA-12 in a probox (yuck) on a massive audio amp. So im sure that probox was tuned in the 45+ range. Ew. It sounded alright but just, Was missing that oomph. Enclosure. Obviously. Granted, my SPG was in a very very very small box, like, maybe 1cuft sealed, maybe smaller to be honest on about 700w rms and it POUNDED!

Too much backstory.....i digress.....Looking at these particular subs, I left the Fi Q alone. SQ may be on par with the SPG but it doesnt sound like loudness will be. So thats a no no for me. Fi BL or SSA Icon. Im not sure which would be better for me, for what im searching for. I dont have an amp and that can be whatever watts it needs to be at whatever ohm. So im starting from scratch. No midbass drivers. Nothing. Just need to know which sub has what qualities in a given situation. Is one more on the Low end side but struggles up top? or are they both so similar that itll be left up to the design of the enclosure to determine the sound? Because if they are that dead even, then no need to have a lengthy explanation. sorry so much
To send someone a private message click on their name and then click start conversation.

The SSA Icon has a warm low end and can be sharp and punchy on the top end in the proper enclosure. The BL is meant a little more for sheer output and can take a little more power.

Also, Ive read that SQL is a myth. And in fact its either SQ or SPL. And what exactly would the difference be in 1500w @ .5ohm vs 1500w @ 1ohm? lower resistance obviously. But does that dramatically increase output? db?

Enclosure is extremely important. I understand that. Not really looking to compete or anything of the sort. Also wasnt looking to push my sub to the limits often.

So in a sense...a Kicker CVX 12 in about 2.5cuft on about 1200w would be a better bet? I dont want to misunderstand. (sorry so much)
If you're talking about pure SQ and pure SPL they are both totally different ends of the spectrum, but there is some middle ground. You can incorporate both in different ways and they both get very expensive either way. The problem is the louder it gets, the more vibrations there are, which will hinder SQ but doesn't mean you can't have fun with it. I believe there is SQL, it's just you can't satisfy both crowds equally. You can't have everything.

1500@1 ohm vs 1500@.5ohms is still 1500 watts regardless, but the .5 ohms is working much harder (hotter) to do the same thing on a 1 ohm amp. People run .5 to get the most out of their amps but it is known to be risky. As long as you have the electricals to back it up and have a good reputable amp, many have done exceptionally well in SPL competitions with half ohm. When you play music, it'll never stay .5 anyway. It'll jump up to 1 or 2 ohms easily so it's still very workable.

You don't have to compete to know that custom enclosures is what makes the end results that much more drastic. Don't you want your sub to be happy in its home? Wouldn't you want the best for it so it can play it's very best? Enclosure is everything. It will make your shiet sound way more musical, louder, and non suffocated. Do the right thing. Whatever you choose, put it in a good home (enclosure).

And I would NOT get a kicker CVX over a Fi or SSA sub. They're not even in the same league. I honestly think you can't go wrong with the SSA Icon from all the rave reviews floating around the internet. That would be my pick. I would also throw in B2 Ref as a potential sub that you might want to consider. I enjoy it very much in my current setup and it doesn't require that much power to get it going. Can hit lows and highs and is very musical. It's a dual 4 ohm sub so might not be ideal for some.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.