Thinking about going Fi Q 12"

DJSmooth245
10+ year member

Dallas
After a couple weeks of research, Ive decided that an Fi Q might be what im looking for. However a day or so ago, I came across a couple of sites saying the Fi BL might be better suited for SPL needs. This threw a wrench in my plans as I tend to research something TO DEATH before buying as to best avoid buyers remorse. Not here to make this an extremely long an uninformative post. Here are the basics. Im looking for a sub 12" of course. Around 1200w rms to about 1700w or so. I dont currently have an amp so of course this is negotiable. I had it in my mind that a Fi Q was the best bet simply because of its SQ nature. I used to be a kicker guy, until I came across my last sub which was a Boston Acoustics SPG 555 in a sealed box. It spoiled me. Only had it on about 700w rms. Im wanting something similar. Very loud but not stupid like a kicker to where its just muddied up crap. Yes I listen to Hip hop and RnB so I figured the BL is a better bet. However there are times where I listen to Symphonies and dont need this overpowering bass. Essentially something that isnt too too far in one corner. Would the fact that my music tastes span LoFi and Classical to Rap and RnB steer me away from the Fi Q? Any other suggested subs are welcomed. As ive considered AB XFL, SQ, SSA Icon, RE audi, Incriminator Audio. Im open to any ideas. Just want to be able to help the next googler that wants to know something partly specific as this. Box will be custom made of course. Looking around <3cuft or so. Ported or sealed. Im open to either.

imo most newer subs could swing either way sq or spl for daily operations not competition I mean. But any way I have an older (mid 2010) fi q which were intended more for sq then raw spl. I had it in 2.7 gross 35hz and I love that sub so much so that its just sitting on a shelf in my basement so I can admire it from time to time. FI subs are great if your not impatient bc the wait times can be a little discouraging. ssa icon would also be a good choice.

I'd think whichever you choose you'll be happy, enclosure/install is half the battle in my experience.
I'm liking my Bl but have it setup not with pure SPL in mind just a daily that'll SPL when pushed.

wait times? im assuming before it arrives correct? well im not impatient as this will be a slow build. As stated i dont even have an amp yet nor a box. And by the sounds of it i might need to upgrade my electrical system just to handle it? so no. not impatient. I certainly hope ill be happy one way or another. Its just the constant balking at the Q getting loud. So many sites have stated the Q just doesnt get really loud. My SPG got rather loud but then again, What is loud? (subjective until the crazy db)

I can't speak for the older fi Q but I had one a few years back fully loaded version. Took about a month wait time but nowadays probably longer. It's very well built and looks really nice. The cone was supperrr stiff when I got it, took about a month or 2 of just banging hard to really break in the suspension. I experimented a lot with the sub and ran it for about a year before I sold it. I had a 12" in a 2.5 net in a passive radiator box which means I can change the tuning up or down on the fly. Fi recommends 28-32 hz. Nothing higher than that. I found 30 hz to be the most natural sounding for this particular sub. It sounded best with hip hop and r&b type of music. It was a low end monster. Digged really deep and was loud in that range. Very smooth, never sounded muddy or dirty. Was able to blend in easily but once I played other genres of music that had a higher freq range, it sounded very flat. Doesn't do well with pop, rock, or edm type music unless you tune higher. I felt for 1 12" and me playing music in the low range, it exceeded my expectations. I loved that sub for what it did. For 1 12" it was pretty dam loud and got a lot of attention. I do miss the Q but I got rid of it because it was very limited in its range. I needed a sub that can play almost anything, not only limited to hip hop and r&b. I would go for the SSA Icon in the future as I've heard that it can play higher. I'm not bagging on the Q, I'm just stating my experience.

Here's the pic of my old setup

Attachments

• IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1125.JPG
    IMG_1125.JPG
    519.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    854.8 KB · Views: 344
Care to elaborate on why you say SSA Icon for my personal needs?

And that was an immense help with the pics of your old setup and all the info with your experience that you gave. Thank you. That also falls in line more with what i have seen about the Fi Q hitting really low just not designed to get loud on anything much higher than that. Which is a bit unfortunate. I wonder if that SSA Icon would be more suited for me or the Fi BL

I've come across some IDQs before. Maybe about a year ago and I was pretty sold on them. Have never heard them but heard that they are really good SQ subs. Would it make sense to get those over the SSA Icon? Or Fi BL? For my personal tastes.

Bump? Not able to hear any of these as a live demo so other users experiences will factor rather heavily in my decision. Isnt the End all Be all but important still. My focus has narrowed to the SSA Icon or Fi BL or even the AB XFL. My mind isnt limited to those however as ive heard many state the Brahma and other subs like the CSS?? i believe its called. My options are open but if the Fi Q is only good for low low end bass 29-35hz and everything else is kinda...muted or not as loud, I dont think thats what Id like to go with.

Would like to add that I dont have any quality midbass components either. Maybe thatll sway your opinions? I will be looking into those also. Just wanted to get my sub down first.

Dont mean to seem impatient but I would like another set of opinions and theories
1200-1700 watts what? amp @ 1ohm or clamped? theories?.. I've got tons of theories and opinions but your actual goals are unclear... SQ?.. SQL sounds like to me.
Ssa Icon in around 2ft3 net tuned low 30's ought to serve you well... idk... seems you're looking for a debate... ok then... demo what you've considered or what's available and choose your budget. I'd think A 2.5" coiled driver might be best for your power
Personally I'd consider a 750-1000w driver that's punchy especially with a mediocre frontstage, output peak in the 40's modeling after estimating cabin gain. A 3" coiled 1500-1750w driver on a 1200w-1500 watt amp @ 1ohm will be barely fed imo. (it'll work tho)
For a quality 3" coil I'd guess a quality 1.5K @ .5 or 2.5k @ 1 ohm is about right daily to really push the limits.
Crap... I'd load a 2.5" driver with that power daily easy... just sayin'.
Enclosure is everything so be clear when your box is built.

Definitely not looking for a debate in the slightest. Just more helpful experiences like the one Blazian87 shared. That was very helpful and will be instrumental in picking the right sub. Also, theres no where near me that will allow me to demo these subs, let alone even sell them. Thats why im going online. Unless there are some little known hot spots around town that only this forum know about, There isnt anywhere. And by saying 1200-1700 i figured it was obvious, apologies I see now that it wasnt. 1200-1700w RMS. Have no idea what clamped is at all so I assume just 1ohm. Ive had a sub before in the 40s. Didnt like the fact that some songs I listened to, It just couldnt hit the lows. It almost sounded bottomed out. Granted it was a CVX12. Also, Ive read that SQL is a myth. And in fact its either SQ or SPL. And what exactly would the difference be in 1500w @ .5ohm vs 1500w @ 1ohm? lower resistance obviously. But does that dramatically increase output? db? Just trying to understand. So from what im understanding from your post, a quality driver at about 1.2k rms would be nearly starving on 1.2k rms? I understand its better to overpower than to underpower. But i didnt know that rated power would still essentially be underpowering them. In no way do I want a debate or anything, Just some info. How u stated the SSA icon in low 30s would suit me well, that works for me. Yes id like your reasoning as to why of course. Maybe im missing something about my setup that makes you lean towards one sub over the other. I dont expect you to know every single parameter of my vehicle nor my tastes. Nor do I expect you to be the complete expert on anything and everything that is Audio. However, I concede that theres a high chance you know more than I do, and if so, maybe shed some light on why you feel that SSA Icon might be better suited to my needs vs the Fi Q, or the BL.

Enclosure is extremely important. I understand that. Not really looking to compete or anything of the sort. Also wasnt looking to push my sub to the limits often. Every now and again of course. I was always under the impression(wrongfully maybe?) that you got an amp with more power capabilities than your sub just to have upgrade room. So for example you saying a 2.5in coil with 750-1000w rms on that power would work. So in a sense...a Kicker CVX 12 in about 2.5cuft on about 1200w would be a better bet? I dont want to misunderstand. (sorry so much)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.