Think my amp went...?

Participant count
  • Participant list

solidcrowd
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
My amp (Cerwin Vega EXL-1200D) turns on and isn't in protect mode or anything, but doesn't power my subwoofer (I checked the sub wiring). Few days prior I pushed my box to the right and it pulled out the my amps power wire to the second battery. I put the wire back in without disconnecting the battery ground. It made a some tiny sparks, nothing big, and still worked.

The next day we got our first frost and my subwoofers rumbbled when I turned the car on. Also, rumbbled when I turned the car off. Still played though. Then after work, I was getting no sound from my subwoofer.

I checked the RCAs and was wondering what you guys think happened and/or how I can fix it? I didn't check the ground because wouldn't the amp not turn on if the ground was messed up?

get a dmm and check the power and remote for voltage ,then make sure you have a good ground.this will tell you alot and is the first place to start.

sometimes amps will power up but not even put anything out because the ground is loose and its just good enough for the amp to come on. this happened in my girl friends car. check the ground. is thats not it take the case off the amp and look at the outputs and se if they are broke. this also could have happened. or maybe a wire came loose inside the box on the sub? never hurts to check everything before you rule it out you know? hope this helps

The sub and box are in my room and running off my plate amp. So i know for 100% its not speaker related. What setting do I use on my DMM to check the voltage.. The same one I used to set my gains?

Do I put the red needle of the dmm on the power wire and the black one on the ground? Or just use the red needle on the power wire. Or the speaker input + and - ? Also, how do I check remote wire, I assume it's working since the amp turns on..?

red on power and black on ground ,then red on remote . see what the voltage is. if the voltage is low then the amp can still come on , just no output,same if the ground is no very good.

Yea that was checked at the amp. The remote wire was going up and down with the music i think. Think the lowest was 40v ? What should it be at? I'll check it again if need be.

I also switched the RCAs from the subwoofer amp to my door speaker amp; they played bass on my door speakers. So it's not the RCAs either.

Any other ideas before I have to take apart my beautiful install ? lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.