Think I'm Close

Participant count
  • Participants list

Grimmjoww

CarAudio.com Veteran
Got a beast being built. ZCON 15, and I have narrowed down building the box to 4.25 net, sub top port back. I'm going to go with birch I believe. I'm getting some mixed feedback on port area. Do these subs respond well to the tried and true formula for 16" of port area per foot? Looked at GP screw and glue, really slick but birch is stupid expensive from them. I'm just going to build it myself.

I have used several of GP Audio Glue and screw enclosures, and have been happy with them as well as others Ive helped install systems in. No complaints yet

Last edited:
Well as luck would have it you going to have a bit of a wait for the sub so you will have time
Yeah, I don't have an excuse lol. I already ordered a sheet of maple from Lowe's, gonna pick it up tomorrow. MB enclosure's says it's a great ply, and I will epoxy coat the inside as I have a ton of that stuff laying around lol. Going to go 4.25cu. 16" port volume per cube and tune to 33-34hz. I could go a little bigger but I like to stay on the smaller size of optimal to keep it punchy, I have enough amp so I'm not super worried about it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't have an excuse lol. I already ordered a sheet of maple from Lowe's, gonna pick it up tomorrow. MB enclosure's says it's a great ply, and I will epoxy coat the inside as I have a ton of that stuff laying around lol. Going to go 4.25cu. 16" port volume per cube and tune to 33-34hz. I could go a little bigger but I like to stay on the smaller size of optimal to keep it punchy, I have enough amp so I'm not super worried about it.
For some reason.. I lean towards 32HTZ majority of the time? Maybe its my bad hearing?

For some reason.. I lean towards 32HTZ majority of the time? Maybe its my bad hearing?
I thought about going lower.

SSA got back with me on port volume, they recommend 15.2-15.5 for a daily, he said that's a sweet spot for musical response. Here is what I have so far https://subbox.pro/en/b/aNkTBSKRw
The sub will be in the top not rear firing and it will have a double baffle, I just didn't add it to the calc because it will just be a stack on top and will not interfere with internal air space. I'm going to use 1.5" dowels for bracing and will corner the inside port and round the end of the port over as well. If my pipeworks pro calculator is correct final net will be around 4.12 and is right in SSA's "optimal" enclosure which is 4-5cu. They also say tuning can be from 31hz-37hz, I kind of went right in the middle here as I am a little unsure.

Last edited:
I am holding you responsible for what I just did LOL, was just told we will be working 6-10s for a while and I'm going rock crawling on my days off. So I just returned the sheet I ordered on Lowes and bought a GP glue and screw premium. I went with the Baltic birch, double baffles, flush mount, all the bells and whistles etc... I told them the specs I needed so lets see what happens, $500 isn't a lot for a great box imo.

Last edited:
Got my new mids in, they sound great but I can tell they are not going to be loud enough lol. The wood goes up to 35 on the volume but it starts clipping at 30. I'm going to get an amp, any recommendations on a good 4 channel that's around 100w rms at 4 ohms? I was actually looking at the trauma 4 channels but would like to save a little money this time, but damn they would match lol.

Buck isn't doing any designing right now Joe. Hasn't been for the past few months due to his medical condition.

Sound Authority in Tampa is who he was programming cuts for remotely as SA is a big audio place down there.

Pop you've seen the pictures of the box I have 1" Russian Birch. SA is who built it and shipped it to me Buck designed of course. Him and Buck are friends. He has a CNC machine that Buck was programming remotely and doing some of the designs for him. He is really good and a hell of a nice guy.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...