The True Facts about breaking in a sub...

Originally posted by beachboy016 Is a JL W6 V2 one of the ones with a not so stiff suspension that doesn't need much breaking in?
when are you installin your w6v2 and 600.1?

i wanna know how it sounds! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by denim well the human ear can not sence tones below 18 Hz - 20 Hz so no you wont hear 10 HZ:D
'most' ears can't hear certian frequencies.. the cone moving creates 'sound waves'.. most ears can't hear it (at 10 Hz).. but if I hear some sound (very low wooowooowooow) then there is a very good chance I AM hearing it.. 'hearing the cone move' is what we do at all frequencies we hear from our speakers, that's how they generate sound.. if I hear the cone moving I'm hearing sound.. right?

So, like I said.. I'm pretty sure I hear my speakers at 10 Hz ...

no,y ou dont...

teh human ear is not capable of it...

hearinga 10 hZ tone is differnet than hearing say a 21 hz tone caused when the driver produces teh 10 hz tone, if you catch what i'm saying...

you arent hearing 10 hz... you are hearing something closer to 20 hz, whether or not its due to the driver adding noise as it struggles, you are not hearing the 10 hz tone

Originally posted by Wonderbread no,y ou dont...

teh human ear is not capable of it...

hearinga 10 hZ tone is differnet than hearing say a 21 hz tone caused when the driver produces teh 10 hz tone, if you catch what i'm saying...

you arent hearing 10 hz... you are hearing something closer to 20 hz, whether or not its due to the driver adding noise as it struggles, you are not hearing the 10 hz tone
How is the speaker moving at 10 cycles/sec different than it moving at 30 cycles/second??? the only difference is the length of the wave generated (that's what happens with the up/down movement of the cone, it creates a standing wave). If you can hear 30 Hz, why can't it be 10 Hz I'm hearing? There are no absolutes with human physiology (well, some.. but).. Just because the average person can't hear below ~20 Hz doesn't mean no-one can.. I used to have 20/16 vision in one eye, 20/14 in the other, how can someone see better than what most people see? How can some people NOT see like 'normal' (20/200 is legally blind I believe).. it goes both ways for all senses.. If I only felt something weird on my face when my head was that close to the speaker, then I'd NOT be hearing it, just fealing it.. but if there is a sound in my head, I'm hearing it... Granted, I can only hear it within about 6" of the speaker, it's not like I can hear it while I'm sitting across the room.. but I CAN very clearly the sounds of my computer comming from the speakers across the room (when I max/min a window a sound plays, and since I'm running the signal generator I get other noise when they happen.. so, I believe I'm hearing the 10 Hz, but only when my head is pretty much in the woofer..

Something that might have something to do with it is about 10 years ago I ruptured one of my eardrums (put a hole right through it).. when it healed it had some scar tissue on it making it 'heavier' than normal.. perhaps the extra weight on my eardrum allows it to move with a 10 Hz wave where most people's drums don't get moved by it.. *shrug* the point is, just because 'most' people can or can't do something doesn't mean someone else can't or can (respectively)..

all right, to go along with your hypothetical situatrion, here is my hypothetical response...

you are not hearing the 10 hz tone...

you are hearing a higher frequency tone ALSO being generated...

very few drivers (average drivers) can cleanly produce a 10 hZ tone, and just as few amplifiers are designed to reproduce them as well...

it is my position that you are not hearing the 10 hZ tone, but anohter higher frequency tone produced (or hell, even distorted to) by the driver in its quest to play that VERY difficult note...

Originally posted by Wonderbread all right, to go along with your hypothetical situatrion, here is my hypothetical response...

you are not hearing the 10 hz tone...

you are hearing a higher frequency tone ALSO being generated...

very few drivers (average drivers) can cleanly produce a 10 hZ tone, and just as few amplifiers are designed to reproduce them as well...

it is my position that you are not hearing the 10 hZ tone, but anohter higher frequency tone produced (or hell, even distorted to) by the driver in its quest to play that VERY difficult note...
This argument I can agree with //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I was gonna put that in my last post but figured I'd stick to hearing the 10 Hz .. the speakers are only rated to like ~15 Hz so there is a very good chance that there is some kind of electrical/mechanical distortion that is above 10 Hz..

Still, the signal generator is set at 10 Hz, and the speakers are moving (pretty darn slow as far as that goes) and I hear 'something'.. exactly what that is I can't gaurentee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

heh, so in teh end, we agree that you are not likely hearing a 10 hZ tone...

again, tis not impossible, but if you could hear it, i bet you could make some money off your supernatural freaky ability, lol.

oh, and btw, for that 20/200 thing...

guess who had 20/200 vision (i believe it was his left eye...)

Ted Williams... thats right, teh splendid splinter himself was rumoured to have 20/200 vision in one eye...

he was also able to read a spinning record, but still hated to hit a slider, lol.

Originally posted by Savant 'most' ears can't hear certian frequencies.. the cone moving creates 'sound waves'.. most ears can't hear it (at 10 Hz).. but if I hear some sound (very low wooowooowooow) then there is a very good chance I AM hearing it.. 'hearing the cone move' is what we do at all frequencies we hear from our speakers, that's how they generate sound.. if I hear the cone moving I'm hearing sound.. right?

So, like I said.. I'm pretty sure I hear my speakers at 10 Hz ...
Mechanical noise.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Originally posted by choochooSS i dont have a subwoffer out that is not an rca type cable, thats why i am asking aout the x over

(just in case my ? sounded pretty stupid)
\
I asked this same question. Plug the red into the red and the white into the white. It's as simple as that. The wattage and wiring calculation is a little less simple, though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

beachboy016

10+ year member
beachboy016
Los Gatos, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from