The new mag is xbl :D

Yeah, having the same dilemna. Id have to get four of these 12's in order to replace my two 15's. Id have to get a heck of a deal to justify doing it. Too bad, Ive been wanting to try out some Mags.

Changing subjects a little bit (it's been talked about on here, but it's not the topic), I'll post a pic of the new BM's basket on here under another thread either tonight or tomorrow after I FTP everything up.

I dont know if Im getting this right but...

The previous mag had 25mm of one way linear travel? That equals about 2 inches peak to peak linear. But you say the new mag is not even gonna have that much linear travel?

I out-sourced it to China... they were REALLY eager to test my theories, wonder why that is?
El Oh El!

Yeah, having the same dilemna. Id have to get four of these 12's in order to replace my two 15's. Id have to get a heck of a deal to justify doing it. Too bad, Ive been wanting to try out some Mags.
Who knows what the price will be? Let's not rule them out based on price just yet. I prefer the "Wait and See" approach.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

I've been trying to get my hands on a mag for a while now. Hopefully with customer directm approach, It will be within my budget so I can finally hear for myself the great things that ive heard about these woofers

El Oh El!

Who knows what the price will be? Let's not rule them out based on price just yet. I prefer the "Wait and See" approach.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif
You misunderstand. Im sure they'll be very fair whatever they charge... Im just posturing for an extra special price. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lawl

I dont know if Im getting this right but...
The previous mag had 25mm of one way linear travel? That equals about 2 inches peak to peak linear. But you say the new mag is not even gonna have that much linear travel?
Correct.

It can't have that much linear travel due to the design. Well...it could, but it would rip itself to pieces.

The new Mag is a different driver than the previous Mag by a long shot. The new Mag is more focused towards SQ, with smaller, more specific enclosure requirements, much less weight, still retain very good output, and did I mention better sound quality yet? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Correct.
It can't have that much linear travel due to the design. Well...it could, but it would rip itself to pieces.

The new Mag is a different driver than the previous Mag by a long shot. The new Mag is more focused towards SQ, with smaller, more specific enclosure requirements, much less weight, still retain very good output, and did I mention better sound quality yet? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Looks as if this woofer will suit my needs quite nicely. Personally the low end is way more important than SPL, so will the low end be comparable to the old mag, or for my point of reference close to the fiQ or tc2000?

Electro any Ideas if this is the final version of the mag and bm and when will they be ready for production, or are you still designing this idea and testing it out first before you make anything final?

Man, 4 pages already! Cool!! Albeit, a bit of hate in the beginning, but it's good to see sundownz and DevilDriver on here clearing things up. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
As mentioned, the Mag is getting an enclosed basket, making it a shallow 5.5" mounting depth. The basket will act as part of the heat sink of the motor and also look **** sexy while doing so.

It is also getting XBL^2 (thanks again guys for clearing up the mis-understandings of the motor topology and it's effects / side effects). Like Jake said, lowering inductance (Le) by 300% is a big deal. Remember when the ID Max came out and how everyone thought it sounded SOO much better than other 3" core drivers? That's because it had a 2.5" coil, which lowered inductance and added the "airy" sound to it that the hard-core SQ guys loved.

What I've done is basically made the Mag a less SPL-throw 2000 watts at it-make a huge ported box that weighs 150 lbs-beat on it all day long driver. I, for one, love having a system that weighs less but can still do what the big, heavier, cargo-room-*******, systems can do. A long time ago I had every intention of doing 4 Mag 12's ported in an Integra. Yeah right. Let me just say that again - 4 ported Mag's in an Integra. Yeah. I ended up doing 2 Mag's sealed once I saw how little room I had to work with.

So instead of working with large heavy enclosures, I've done everything I possibly can to make the Mag light-weight and require small boxes. How small are the enclosure requirements? 0.8 to 1 cube sealed, and 1.5 cubes ported. Yes, that's for the 12", which is the only size it will be offered in. And with 1000 watt power handling and such small enclosure requirements, the Mag just got more flexible than ever.

And before I forget, SI is going direct again. Expect pricing to come down a bit (//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif). I'm not saying anything more about pricing until near the new year. I'll make a thread about it if the Mod's won't delete it.

And yes, the core (pole) is getting anodized copper and then cnc machined down to make the best copper "sleeve" (not a sleve at all) around. It's a pole piece with a shorting ring that doesn't have a BL-******* air gap between the pole and the traditional sleeve. The pole will not only lower inductance, but also aid in thermal power handling by making the heat transfer from the coil to the pole piece more efficient.

Then there's all of the suspension that has been totally re-worked. Everything is brand new, better, etc. I'll type more later. Man, I can't believe I typed THIS MUCH already!! What is it about ca.com that brings this out in me? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
Are you saying that the new Mag will get just as loud as the 2nd Gen Mag?(which I own).I relly like my Mags and they sound soooo good.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

No release dates as of yet. Prototypes still need to arrive for testing and approval before any production runs are made. I've got more time in designing this new Mag than I have all 3 previous Mag's combined, so it should be more than good-to-go shortly after I receive the prototype. As it stands now though, the Mag will come out slightly before the BM. If I can help it, both the BM and the Mag will come out at the same time. But who knows.

Are you saying that the new Mag will get just as loud as the 2nd Gen Mag?(which I own).I relly like my Mags and they sound soooo good.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
This Mag is made more for SQ, it does not have quite as much maximum SPL output. It is more efficient, though, so will produce a good bit of SPL with less power. It's simply not an SPL sub though, Nick took the design even MORE SQ and traded off a bit on maximum SPL output.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

youngstunna

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
youngstunna
edmonton, AB
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date