The Difference?

Participant count
  • Participant list
What do you mean exactly? Are you saying like if you were to do a blind listening test, would you be able to tell if it's 10's or 15 or 12? Besides loudness, I don't think you'll be able to tell what size you're listening to. There are so many other factors like sub design, box design, how much space you're using.. so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

What do you mean exactly? Are you saying like if you were to do a blind listening test, would you be able to tell if it's 10's or 15 or 12? Besides loudness, I don't think you'll be able to tell what size you're listening to. There are so many other factors like sub design, box design, how much space you're using.. so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

I meant two 10's in the recommended box compared to a single 15 in the recommended box. Amp size of twice the rms.

I meant two 10's in the recommended box compared to a single 15 in the recommended box. Amp size of twice the rms.
You can't really compare two hypothetical speakers without mentioning all of the stats about them. Two 10" speakers have 78.5^2in x2 (~157.1^2in) of surface area and one 15" has 176.71^2in. Knowing nothing more about the setup, all else being equal the 15 moves more air with each stroke, so the 10's would need more excursion to make up for it. The power is a factor, but it's no more of a factor than the weight of the moving assembly, type of enclosure, etc. Without everything we can't really say which is more efficient at moving air, so we basically just conclude it's probably the 15" because they tend to be better at converting power into sound waves. Somewhat because the % of the usable cone area goes up on larger speakers, making my values a little off skewed to make the difference bigger.

Two 10" speakers which share the same sensitivity as a larger 15" and have larger excursion with the same power is a lot closer. But presumably you're talking about speakers within the same series, and within the same series larger speakers (always?) have higher sensitivity than smaller speakers using the same drivers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.