the best 6x9's for $200

6x9's are not uniform, that's why they distort a lot easier than a circular cone....
********. Distortion has nothing to do with the shape of a speaker. Ovals have certain tonal qualities that some people don't like, but they don't distort any easier than rounds.

Speakers most certainly distort when underpowered, when played at HIGH VOLUMES.
Wrong. The amplifier will clip if driven too hard, which is the single biggest reason that people damage speakers by "underpowering" them. To get them loud enough, people will crank the gains on the amp up or increase the volume, forcing the amp into sending a clipped signal. Volume just increases the power sent to the speaker by way of the amp. So a speaker doesn't care where the volume knob on your HU is at. All it knows is the signal it receives from the amp. If speakers distorted when underpowered, they would also distort when playing at very low volumes, which they do not.

My last two pairs I bought were Boston's. They sound really clean and clear with good low end for 6x9's.

Another good brand that I had good luck with is Polk Audio.

When i say underpowered, i mean ran off the HU, and putting it at full volume. Its gonna be distorted. The kappas are made to handle up 110 watts rms, sending it 20 rms from the HU is underpowering them.

in my book there is no such thing as underpowering...why? a 200 watt amp isnt always 200 watts in fact under NORMAL listening i'll bet its barely 20 watts if that. its just when people start being volume masters that "underpowering" becomes an issue and for that all i can say is you cant get silk from a pig's ear. people put WAY too much time and effort into rear fill. i say this all the time but when u PROPPERLY set up a system (even a budgeted one!) you will see how bad a strong rear fill is. want proof get a system test cd from auto sound 2000 or a usac or iasca disc and listen to it on a PROPPER home set up then think hmmm can i do this in my car? answer is yes. dont want subs? get 6x9 woofers and get a 4 channel amp with a good front coax. place front coax in kick panels set up x-over on amp to about 60-100hz and put the 6x9 woofers on 100 and under ..want more "boom" save the money u would have in rear fill get a better sub, amp and front speaker set ...

When i say underpowered, i mean ran off the HU, and putting it at full volume. Its gonna be distorted. The kappas are made to handle up 110 watts rms, sending it 20 rms from the HU is underpowering them.

I think you understand me, but my point is that the amplifier in the HU in this scenario is clipping due to it getting a stronger signal from the receiver in the HU than it can really handle. It's the amplifier that is causing the problem here, not the speaker.

Yes, sending a speaker rated for 110W RMS a mere 20W is underpowering, but in no way will that damage the speaker.

no it wont damage the speaker, unless like i said before, the volume is turned all the way up. I have blown a pair of speakers ran off the deck, just by playing them too loud. because they distort when played at high volumes, and distortion is the #1 reason speakers blow.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.