Testing true RMS wattage

You need a current clamp meter...and this question has been asked a fucking bajillion times before, now that the search is working, you have no excuse

i think that amp is supposed to be 1200x1 at 1ohm...if you actually clamp it, im guessing you will only see about 7-800...it has 80 amps of fusing, so at 14v if it was 100% efficient you would see 1120w in theory...so im guessing it will not be near its rated power

This would require gear and knowledge far beyond your $150 purchase.

You would need to determine it's RMS at what THD distortion rating at a specified frequency or bandwidth. Usually RMS is determined at 10% THD, 1% THD, .1% THD or .01% THD. That can be either at 1khz or at 20hz -20KHZ. This requires an oscolliscope and RMS meter.

Sub amps are usually tested at 10 % THD at 1 khz (or 100 hz), but full range or hi-fi amps are rated at .01 %THD @ 20hz -20 khz, which is a much tougher standard. The same amp would rate significantly lower using the tougher standard than the looser 10 % sub standard.

Testing it's electrical current input draw or output without a known load or THD is meaningless and not comparable to any other amp or testing method.

Next time buy a better amp and you won't have to wonder how it compares.

You need a current clamp meter...and this question has been asked a fucking bajillion times before, now that the search is working, you have no excuse
Lol, a bajillion huh? Why even waste ur time looking, then replying, and on top of it all going the extra mile to be a dick..

Thanks kr15, and d-REW

Daaam. This forum is brutal. Thanks for the info tho.

Ooooh, ok gotcha it makes soooooo much sense now. Your sayin next time i need an amp and dont have much money, I can just call u and youll throw down $1500 for a RF T2000?? Thanks man!!!

It doesn't have to be more expensive, just better.

Yes, this forum is brutal. The real issue is you don't understand the question you've asked. That's very common. A search of similar threads will show similar responses, because it's really the only way to answer it.

There is no easy way to determine the true RMS output of an amp, and the only way to do it is by a method that can be compared to other amp testing methods. If you use a different testing method then that number is meaningless and can not be compared to another amp anyway, so why bother? That would be like wieghing your amp and saying it weighs the same as 36 rocks you found in your yard. How does that compare to the rocks in somebody elses yard or thier amp? It doesn't, it's a meaningless number unless you use the same testing method. That is not something the average consumer can do by themselves.

Manufactures know this, so they lie their asses off and claim absurd numbers for thier amps. Stick with reputable brands, conservative numbers that are backed up by a testing method and explained how they got that number. So you can compare apples to apples. If the box says in big letters "2000 watts!!!!" with no explination how they got that number and you see that the amp has a 20 amp fuse you should know they are lieing. 20 amps x 14 volts = 280 watts max. , probably a lot less.

You can't test the true RMS your self, but you can learn to be a smart consumer. Stick with major brands, read reviews, do your research and learn to read the specs and look for ******** claims.

BTW, my sub amp also costs $150.

It doesn't have to be more expensive, just better.
Yes, this forum is brutal. The real issue is you don't understand the question you've asked. That's very common. A search of similar threads will show similar responses, because it's really the only way to answer it.

There is no easy way to determine the true RMS output of an amp, and the only way to do it is by a method that can be compared to other amp testing methods. If you use a different testing method then that number is meaningless and can not be compared to another amp anyway, so why bother? That would be like wieghing your amp and saying it weighs the same as 36 rocks you found in your yard. How does that compare to the rocks in somebody elses yard or thier amp? It doesn't, it's a meaningless number unless you use the same testing method. That is not something the average consumer can do by themselves.

Manufactures know this, so they lie their asses off and claim absurd numbers for thier amps. Stick with reputable brands, conservative numbers that are backed up by a testing method and explained how they got that number. So you can compare apples to apples. If the box says in big letters "2000 watts!!!!" with no explination how they got that number and you see that the amp has a 20 amp fuse you should know they are lieing. 20 amps x 14 volts = 280 watts max. , probably a lot less.

You can't test the true RMS your self, but you can learn to be a smart consumer. Stick with major brands, read reviews, do your research and learn to read the specs and look for ******** claims.

BTW, my sub amp also costs $150.
preach it man! this post should be in a pop-up that comes up for new members when they enter the amplifier forum.

Daaam. This forum is brutal. Thanks for the info tho.
Ooooh, ok gotcha it makes soooooo much sense now. Your sayin next time i need an amp and dont have much money, I can just call u and youll throw down $1500 for a RF T2000?? Thanks man!!!
This forum is only brutal if your being dumb. You didnt even thank DidUHearThat?. He went into a lot of detail for you and you didnt thank him. Yeah yeah yeah, we are all brutal, thats how we roll. And if you dont like it, Google your stupid questions. Bubba answered your question, why didnt you thank him? Why did you waste your time replying to his reply? Why did I waste my time with this reply? Cuz I wanted to just like everyone else did, and they wanted to help. And the question has been asked time and time again, why didnt you use the search?? And judging from your reply here... your ignorant. Have a nice dam day.

Lol, a bajillion huh? Why even waste ur time looking, then replying, and on top of it all going the extra mile to be a dick..
It was my pleasure. If we constantly indulged the noobs and spoon fed them every answer they would never learn how to use the search bar //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.