TC Sounds Epic 8 or Sundown Audio SA-8?

Please go from experience. Read my post to see what Im trying to achieve here

• Total voters

Trancer
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Allen, Texas
Ok, I already know the answer to the question. The past forum boner has been the SA-8, so I dont even know why I am asking, but I would like to hear some feedback regarding the TC Sounds Epic 8. I am trying to figure out a way to squeeze 3-4 8's in my 08 GMC Sierra Crew Cab in a ported box. Im wanting to tune it anywhere from 31-33hz. I have very little to work with.

Also, if anyone has any experience building a box for my truck, please let me know. If you have box plans, please PM me! I wish I still had my house. I live in an apartment so if I build I box, I have a limited time in a friends shop at his work so I have to get it right the first time.

Anyway, back to the original question/poll.

I forgot where I put my sheet of doodles. I think I had about 3 cuft or so.. I totally forgot. I know 4 would be extremely tough, but I MIGHT be willing to raise the seats an inch or two max... but Id really rather not.... And with me wanting to go with a lower tuning, its going to be tough. I think I should be able to fit 3 8's... so if I figure out that I can do 3 8's, then Ill start debating with myself if I should just do 2 RE SE 10's facing forward ported.

Heres a stupid question, what do you guys mean by the SA 8 is a boner? lol

By the way OP, if you only have 3 cu ft to work with, it sounds like you could only fit 2, but mayyyyyyyybe 3. Im about to put 3 in the trunk of my car in a 44" wide x 12.75" tall x 11.5" deep enclosure, barely enough room. Sub chamber for all 3 came out to 1.85ft^2 tuned to 33hz.

I had Ryan at RAM Designs design it for me.. great guy. Im just praying the enclosure fits into my trunk once I build it lol

Go with round ports to maximize space efficiency. Beyond that, its a simple matter of matching up the subs/sizes/quantity you want with the space you have available.
Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to do that. That actually really helps me out because that means I can cut two different lengths of ports so I can switch them out. Maybe cut one out that will do a 31hz and one for 33-34hz.

Thanks for the idea! I appreciate it bro

i would go TC epic over the sa. based on the fact that the sa is a huge boner, and i have heard awesome things about the epic 8
Thanks! Have you heard either of these subs at all??

just lose the back seat or buy aa camper shell or hard tonnuea cover and rock 15's in the bed
You must be young.

I didnt buy a $40k truck just to take out the leather back seats and turn my truck from a 5 seater into a 2 seater. Yes, I have a front center console in the front. If I were going to do that, then I would have kept the Corvette with the two 12's in the hatchback that would have made your teeth rattle.

And I use the bed of my truck. Have you seen my truck in my avatar? And you want me to put a camper shell on that beautiful truck? I have thought about getting another truck, something in the $6k range and doing that, but not to this truck.

TC all the way. Although 3 cubes ported is going to be hard to fit 3 8's in. I had 2 ID8's in a 1.4 box ported and that was after port and displacement. Not to mention the ID8's require a fairly small box compared to others.

Thanks for the input guys.

I was made a very good offer by Thilo Stompler for my TC1000's that I think I am going to take him up on.

He is making me a two for 1 offer. Two of my TC1000's for one of either his Epic 8, 10, 12's or LMS-R 12's.

Ok, so I am just going to copy and paste what he said to me instead of retyping it all in my own words... I already accidentally hit the close tab button already after I was 98% done of having it typed out... so here it is.. Tell me what you guys think...

Hello Jesse,

If you want to go ported, I recommend against the 8" Epics. They can be ported, but you would need to use some very long ports which would likely need to be outside of the enclosure due to their extreme length, 40-50" long. The advantage of the 8" is that the enclosure is very small, like 0.4-0.5 cubic feet per driver.

Two or three 10" Epics would be easier to tune with conventional ports inside the enclosure, 0.8 cubic feet per box is fine.

I'll make you a two for one deal on the 8" as well, since it's almost the same cost as the 10 or 12, the materials cost is nearly identical anyway.

I can help you with an enclosure design for whatever you decide. I need your max enclosure outside dimensions, and whether you can have the ports outside the enclosure or not.

As to someone who can make an enclosure for you, I recommend you find someone local to you.

If you have no one in your area, I can recommend a friend of mine that lives in Oregon.

Best,

Thilo

I didn't read the thread, so I hope I don't repeat something already said.. but it really just comes down to what you plan on doing with it and what type of sound you're looking for. I've owned both and they've both got their advantages.

SA8 is going to handle power better and sound pretty good doing it. Epic is lesser in the handling area but is going to sound much better. You could do some proper design work and they'd both perform identical. My choice, however.. for flexibility reasons i'd go with the SA. The Epics just don't get loud like the Epics.

Its purely based on what you plan on doing and what your goal is.. but due to the overwhelmingly good customer service and warranties from Sundown plus the performance aspect (custom tooled baskets, cooling, etc) i'd go with Sundown. How many times has TC gone under now? ..that's coming from a die hard TC lover.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...