Taramps Smart 5k at 0.67?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Can a Taramps Smart 5 safely handle 0.67 ohms daily?

I'm considering buying one to replace my Orion HCCA5000.1DV2. Would a Smart 5 be an upgrade from my Orion?

See sig for electrical.

Thanks.
- Joe

I can't speak for daily or long term use but I did, for a short period, run my smart 3 at .67. It was putting out maybe 1500w. We used my amp to diagnose a blown amp in a buddies system, I was unaware he was wired so low or I wouldn't have done it.

I know the smart 3 has the overhead to run at .67 on paper, I think big D dynoed it even. But I wouldn't risk it.

Matt

This amp is wild for the price. If they made a 0.5-2 ohm 8-10k amp I would consider swapping from my Salt... Although I wish they would just make the crossovers nice.

That's the only thing I hate about Taramps amps. The pots are garbage. But I do run active crossovers so it's not too big of a deal for me. I have a feeling a smart 8k will be coming this year.

This amp is wild for the price. If they made a 0.5-2 ohm 8-10k amp I would consider swapping from my Salt... Although I wish they would just make the crossovers nice.

Definitely agree with this. I made a noob goof and hooked up the power and ground backwards when I swapped amp locations. Popped the 300a fuse on my 0ga. Thought I killed the amp. Had to wait a few days for a new fuse, threw it in, hooked it up right, and it's been banging hard since.

Taramps got alot of flak for being cheap, but their amps are built pretty damn well. You just can't run them at 1/4 of their rated Impedance like you can a Korean. I do wish they had dual RCA inputs instead of a single tho.

Matt

On Taramps, The input and output rca’s are connected together inside the amplifier. The exact same thing as using a 2 into 1 splitter. You can just plug both of your rca’s into the amplifier if you don’t need a output.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...