Taramps problem im having

Participant count
  • Participant list

bajbass

baj
Ok recently one of my battery lugs came loose while i was driving which made every thing acting weird and the music kept cutting out anyways after that i secure the lugs and all connections but my taramps md5000 keeps going into protect with the car off....the weird thing is with the car running its good.I carried it to the repair shop in my area and the guy found nothing wrong with it and saying my battery probably got damage and cant handle the load of my amp which i find it hard to believe...my red top optima although aint the best it rest at 12 volts but it starts the car fine so idk whats up...

Optima red-top?
Please dont say it rests at 12v even. 12.6v or better would be where it should rest I think. My Sms 220 and Duracell Platinum Agms rest at 13v

What's your whole electrical and your whole setup?
You are saying your running your system while the car is off and it goes into protect? But when the car is running it's fine? Do you have a voltage meter?...

well even tho its not the best 12v should be able to power the amp up without it going to protect and yes my volt meter is connected directly at the amp power input leads...

So MD5k. One Optima battery? Stock alternator? Issues with wiring. You brought it to a local repair shop and not an amp repair shop that specializes in Brazilian amps?

well even tho its not the best 12v should be able to power the amp up without it going to protect and yes my volt meter is connected directly at the amp power input leads...

If it's at 12V resting when off, that's hardly the time to start playing music on top of it, it should be 12.4-13v if it's still doing okay. Voltage drops when you put a high current load on the battery also there's usually a voltage drop from under the hood to the trunk of .3 or .4v so you're saying you've got 11.6v before music starts.. yeah I can see why the amp wouldn't like that. If you've got a 5000W RMS amp and don't have a substantial battery bank then the days of playing music with your car off are over (unless you at the minimum want to drag out a battery charger while you do it). Alternators aren't really designed to constantly pick up the charging you missed out on by not having the car on while you killed the battery, they're better suited to just top the battery off between small drains.

Yes 1 redtop and stock 120 amp alternator with 2 12 xfls tbh i way more than enough output from it before this happen without a voltage problem i monitor the voltage on the dash....
And im from the caribbean but the shop fix alot of taramps.

ill go get the battery check today tho...even so i hook the amp up to a 60 amp 12v power supply i currently have a soundstream 2500 rms working fine on and it still go on protect.. :/

ill go get the battery check today tho...even so i hook the amp up to a 60 amp 12v power supply i currently have a soundstream 2500 rms working fine on and it still go on protect.. :/
I think most protect circuits kick in at like 11.8 and below. So you shouldn't be going into protect at 12v or above unless you're actually playing music/tones. That of course is measured at the amp, not the battery. There's going to be a slight difference of .3v or so at the battery vs at the amp terminals and that's important if your battery's riding the 12v line already.

Taramps protect at 9 volts.
Yeah I mean judging by such a low protect voltage on the amp, if it's reaching that then your battery is pretty abused. You say it works when it's on though so short of a pretty strange internal issue with the amp it definitely seems entirely voltage dependent. When I play music with the car off I disable the amp. It sounds junky, but I've been burned too many times trying to play music while I wax the car or something and lose track of the time. Now If I want the amp enabled when it's off I'll put a charger on it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.