System shuts off -- HELP!

Bobby322
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
TX
Ok, so my system specs are in my sig. I've got it in a 1973 duster, so its pretty old...

- When ever I dont even have my HU in, my lights are dim.

- When I put my HU in when I have my lights on (night), I cannot get it to turn on, it just flashs on and off

- When I am just driving and I hit the brakes, my system shuts off

I just got a new battery and Im pretty sure my ground is good. I have it on frame of car, sanded down to bare metal, with acouple screws in it.

Any help would be great.

HO alt for just 2 12's?

so check the battery grounds, HU ground, and amp ground?

Im sure all are good.

Being that old he probably only has a 60 amp Alt. Maybe try to upgrade to a higher output as previously suggested. Also check the voltage regulator..That might be bad..Should be on the firewall..I don't think they integrated them into the alternator yet back then

alright, but I dont see how an alt is the problem when I hit the brakes and it all shuts off

yeah but alt just charges battery. I can see why Id need a new alt if my battery is dieing, but doesnt seem like a weak alt would cause my system to shut off all the time.

It also shuts off when I put my car in a diff. gear (park, reverse, drive)

defineltly change your alt....the power brakes and the the power used to lighten your brakes lights alone drops your voltage significantly

Alt charges battery but if your pulling from amp/lights/motor etc the amp cant hold the charge up and therefore system goes poof.

Well im pretty clueless as to electrical stuff. Installing my amp/subs is as far as I'll go lol. Im not confident enough to go into all the electical in the car, id screw something up. I guess I will check all the grounds tomorrow and im thinking about trying the big 3, but I have no wire and like no money hahah

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.