System problems... out of ideas!

shiznid12
10+ year member

Ok, my system used to work perfectly until I removed it for a few weeks and tried to put it back in.

When I turn on my headunit, I hear my subs kick in, and they make a LITTLE bit of noise. From there, I turn on my car. When I do that, the noise gets louder (probably engine wine or something). If I turn the volume on my HU all the way down, and switch songs on my CD, I hear my CD player through my subs. What I mean when I say this... is... even with no volume, I hear my subs make quick thuds (In a matter of one second, they make 3-4 really fast thuds). When I get to the end of the CD, and the CD starts over (Once again, with no volume at all), I hear my subs make the sound that the CD player does when it starts over.

I have been getting feedback like this for some time now, and can't figure it out. I have used a different ground, and it didn't work. I've ran a spare pair of RCA's straight to my CD player from my trunk, still nothing.

The only thing that is new to me is hearing the CD player THROUGH my subwoofers. I can hear the reading of the disk, track switching, and everything.

I can still bump, but it sounds odd, and there is a lot of background THUMPING.

I have had it before, also, where i'd turn my gain up about halfway and my subs will start to freak out.

So.....

Tried a different ground, tried spare RCA's, even hooked the amp up in my friends car... worked perfectly in his.

I would appreciate some help! I hate having a system when it doesn't work!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

P.S. I have a digital multimeter... and I guess I could use it to check the resistance of my ground and other things, but i'm not totally sure how to. Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

K, well, I bought a brand new pair of RCA's and ran them straight from my HU to my amp. So that's... 3 different pairs that have not "FIXED" the issue.

And... bad ground? Possibly, but would a bad ground on the amp really cause me to hear track switching THROUGH my subwoofers? Also, if it was a bad ground... why did my system work for 3 months with the same ground, and then it all of a sudden stopped being a good ground?

My HU is a Kenwood.. KDC-HD545U

It's odd, however, that when both RCA's are plugged in, it sounds MUCH more loud than when one is plugged in and the other is just touching the outter ring of the RCA terminals.

I was thinking it could be the HU. The weird thing is... the HU is pretty new, had it for 2-3 months, and everything worked fine until I took my system out and put it back in again. The HU hasn't been removed, which is why it being the HU would have been odd.

If the RCA grounds were bad on the amp, the amp would not have worked perfectly in my friends car..

My bad, I missed that part.
Did you try grounding the rca's to the back of the head unit?
I haven't done it yet, but I think that is my next step... if that doesn't work, i'm not sure what else to try.

I have digital multimeter... should I use it to check my ground? Also, how would I? I mean... I know what settings to use and stuff, just not sure where to put the red needle and the black one. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.