System Problem... Help !

dakid23
10+ year member

I just bought my sundown sae1200d amp almost a week ago from sundownz himself and i tuned it exactly how it says in the paper that comes with it... i have two 12 inch type Rs wired to 1 ohm... and a double din phase linear tv...

Its been good for maybe a week or so nd last night the bass just cut off and back on a couple times and then did it again... so i turned it down and it was fine... this morning i turned the car on and had it low again and the bass cut off again so i popped the trunk and the amp was getting no power at all cuz the niether of the lights were on... so i just drove to work nd it would cut on and off when ever it wanted... when i got off work it played fine the whole ride home...

what do you guys think it is? I doubt its the amp because i just got it and wired and tuned it right... but the head unit and speakers were all still working jus the bass cut off and on and when i checked niether of the lights were on on the amp

If it happens again is there anyway to check if the amp is still getting power, and in that case it would be the amp.. i have a DMM by the way so i think there is a way to do it...

and is it possible that its da HU? cuz when i play it low it will play with out cutting off but when i turn it up it plays but the bass cuts out w.e. it wants

Yea check both the amp ground and the fuse under the hood.

My friend had the same problem just days ago. Would cut out like crazy. I sanded down all the paint from where he had the amp grounded and it worked just fine right after.

And could also very well be the fuse under the hood. Experienced another bass cut-out in my car months ago. Popped the hood, low and behold the fuse was charred beyond belief (well, not that bad, just burnt). Replaced it and was good to go.

check your ground and if your fuse is a large glass type fuse i have seen them look good but not be good. take a volt meter check voltage on the front side of fuse & then check voltage on the back side of fuse. from running the system pretty hard at times it will heat up the fuse to where the blade in the fuse becomes desouldered at one end. so the fuse looks good and at times will make contact but at others not make contact(because when thing get hot they expand so it makes contact & when things get cold they contract & don't make contact) so at times it works & at others not.

alright thanks for the info people... imma def check that out tomorrow... but would the bass work without having a fuse under the hood??

also, do you guys think it might be my headunit by any chance??

and would it even be the ground? ive had a system for a while but it just recently started doing this maybe in the last couple weeks cuz i had a RF amp before that and it ran good for like 6 months and this started happening so i got a new amp and the same problem but the 6 months before that nothing ever happened like that

you need a fuse under your hood to not fry the amp, and so your car dosn't turn into a giant fire ball. with your lack of experience, i would go no further until you put an inline fuse next to the battery. your wiring is obviously messed up. go through all of it, including the sub wiring.

i already have a fuse next to my battery but i just didnt know the purpose of it thats all.. and i have my subs wiring right already... thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.