System Design Help - BEGINNER

BrendonTW
10+ year member

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for some advice on what brands and series to buy. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4 door and I am wanting to upgrade the audio system in it.

I don't want to spend a ton, and I don't care about being extremely loud. I would like to get some decent volume though, and I'm really looking for clarity and just more dynamic listening.

The truck has two tweeters, two front speakers, and two rear. I think I want to replace all six speakers and I definitely want to add one sub. Also the head unit to be replaced and obviously install an amp or two depending on what you all tell me I need. I think I would like to have HD radio capability, and I definitely want a graphic EQ or at least a way to assign the frequencies for the high, mid, and low adjustments.

I have $425 in best buy cards, so I am going to spend as much as practical there. I would prefer to not spend over $500 in additional cash on the system.

My first question is where can I find the sizes I need for the speakers. I'm almost positive that the current speakers are 6x9 front and 5.25 rear, and I don't know the tweeter sizes. I don't know the back spacing measurements though. Is there anywhere I can find this information?

I usually go to Crutchfield or SonicElectronix to look at speaker sizes, but they show different sizes... Crutchfield asked if there's a stock Infinity system. Do you see an Infinity logo anywhere on your factory head unit or speakers?

Anyway, Sonic says there are 6x9s in front, with 5.25s in the back. Crutchfield has the sizes switched.

I'm sure you can find measurements on a Dodge specific, or Ram specific forum, but I can't really help with that.

I would probably only buy the head unit or installation gear from Best Buy. I haven't been to their website, or a store recently, but they're not really known for their high fidelity audio.

Everything else, I can't really help with. I don't have enough experience with different audio builds to give you any real advice when it comes to actual woofers and amps.

I just talked to a Crutchfield rep, he said I need 1" tweets and will need to build something to mount them in place of the stock system tweets. He says the fronts are 6x9 with spacing of 2.935" and the rears are 6.5 with spacing of 5.236".

I'm going to double check on the rear sizes, I think they are 5.25.

What kind of head unit and what is "type r" ?

Type R is an Alpine subwoofer, asuming ur local best buy carries alpine subs they probably stock type S and type R subs.

I would save ur cash and research/shop around for nice interiors if your most concerned w/ the overall sound quality

Get ur Head unit, Best buy has an Attrend dual 12" box for $99 to fit under ur rear bench and you could get a pair of alpine type Es for 120. not the greatest but if you just want a lil sumn and tryin to maximize your best buy dollars you might be looking ok. depending on your Head unit choice you might have some extra to get a pair of speakers or sumn

If you had a suv or car where you could just throw a box in the back your choices would be easier. I have a dual 12" box under the back bench in my silverado w/ some Jl audio 12w1v2s and it sounds pretty decent.

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for some advice on what brands and series to buy. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4 door and I am wanting to upgrade the audio system in it.
I don't want to spend a ton, and I don't care about being extremely loud. I would like to get some decent volume though, and I'm really looking for clarity and just more dynamic listening.

The truck has two tweeters, two front speakers, and two rear. I think I want to replace all six speakers and I definitely want to add one sub. Also the head unit to be replaced and obviously install an amp or two depending on what you all tell me I need. I think I would like to have HD radio capability, and I definitely want a graphic EQ or at least a way to assign the frequencies for the high, mid, and low adjustments.

I have $425 in best buy cards, so I am going to spend as much as practical there. I would prefer to not spend over $500 in additional cash on the system.

My first question is where can I find the sizes I need for the speakers. I'm almost positive that the current speakers are 6x9 front and 5.25 rear, and I don't know the tweeter sizes. I don't know the back spacing measurements though. Is there anywhere I can find this information?
If you walked into my shop and told me the same things I would recommend the following Items

Front Speakers 6.5" components Mid level $150-$250(with a 6x9" adapter plate)

Rear speakers 5.25" components Entry Level $99 (same brand as front)

Subwoofer (1) 10" woofer Type E or JL 10w0-4(quality brand with good price)

Amp 4 channel amp Run the front on front speakers rear on sub. Run rear speakers off of radio.

Radio What ever you choose as long as it has HD as a option and 4 channels of rca's your choice.

This is a simple and effective audio package that will sound clean and play somewhat loud and be durable.

Hope this helps!

double post????

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad had a single 10" in his truck and it was plenty loud for what I want. Could I get more bang for my buck with a single box and sub rather than a dual setup?

My dad had a single 10" in his truck and it was plenty loud for what I want. Could I get more bang for my buck with a single box and sub rather than a dual setup?
For the general public, one sub is more than enough. If your dad had a single 10", you'll be fine with a single 10 or 12.

If you walked into my shop and told me the same things I would recommend the following Items
Front Speakers 6.5" components Mid level $150-$250(with a 6x9" adapter plate)

Rear speakers 5.25" components Entry Level $99 (same brand as front)

Subwoofer (1) 10" woofer Type E or JL 10w0-4(quality brand with good price)

Amp 4 channel amp
That's what I'm looking for. Why the entry level rear speakers? I've done nice speakers in the front and cheaper in the back in a Jeep I used to have and ended up fading like 75% of the audio to the front speakers because the rears sounded terrible. And you recommended a 4 channel amp. Do I not need at least a 5 channel since that would be 4 speakers and a sub? Also, why not tweeters?

ALSO - Something was said about a quality interior. What do you mean by this? #ignorance, haha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.