Swapping subs = gains ?

Kangaroux
5,000+ posts

I put on
Maine
Just out of curiosity, for the people who have done direct swaps of subs, did you see any gains from it? Arguments are often made claiming that a lower rated sub will be louder off the same power due to its weaker suspension and hence efficiency in terms of excursion.

Guy I knew had a jx360/1 and 8w3 in slot port box around 32hz and swapped it for an sa-8. It actually got a good bit louder, even though the SA-8 clearly can handle much more than any JL w3. You would think lower rated subs would be louder off same power but from what I've seen that doesn't seem to be the case. Motor and magnetic field strength probably has something to do with it. That's my guess.

Jacob owner of sundown has started same box and same power for the X to Zv4 was a 1db gain and going from Zv4 to nsv3 was another 1db gain direct swap!
This. Motor and magnetic field strength. Higher quality woofers built to get loud do what they do best, better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.