Sundown x15 warming up? Maybe enclosed?

I've got a sundown x 15 d2. I've had it for a few weeks and I made a quick mess around box. It's ugly but it actually sounds pretty good. The dims. Are 33" wide X 18" height X 22" Depth about 4 cubic ft subtract subwoofer and port. The box has a 4" L port tuned to around 32hz. Although I'm a complete newb with enclosures it sounds good. Now the subwoofer is being powered by a Audiopipe APSM1500.1 with a 90A 13.8vdc power supply. Everything tested and the voltage I steady and gains are set back so no clipping. The x15 cone gets hot around 90+ degrees hot after just a few songs and a little coil smell. What's causing this? Maybe box or port to small? Does the x series from sundown have recalls? After 450 dollars down on this sub I don't want to damage it.

Sounds like clipping. Just because a gain is dialed back does not mean its not clipping. Those amps are known for being dirty and draw more than 90 amps. At 1 ohm that amp draws around 125 amps to make 900-1000 watts from amp dyno vids

Those amps are VERY dirty when clipping sets in... I would venture to say that about 75% of the time if we get a woofer back for a burnt lead or coil we discover it was ran with an AP or similar amplifier. That is not an exaggeration.

They are FINE if you run them within their clean limits; but their clipping is *very* nasty -- they will continue to get louder well after clipping starts as well.

That's horrible. I'm glad people who know what their stuff told me otherwise. Thanks because I probably would have damaged a nice sub. Otherwise the x15 is a low end monster it's performance blows me away.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.