Sundown X vs. SSA XCON vs. SSA Evil, among other questions.

It don't work that way. You can have a dish or a flat dust cap. It doesn't change the displacement. They both are moving the same distance.

Except the deeper cone has more surface area. That's how the real world works. That's like saying a square kicker woofer 15" has same area as a round 15" because they both 15".... Or a triangle bazooka woofer has the same area as a round woofer because straight across has the same distance.

Except the deeper cone has more surface area. That's how the real world works. That's like saying a square kicker woofer 15" has same area as a round 15" because they both 15".... Or a triangle bazooka woofer has the same area as a round woofer because straight across has the same distance.
I'm not 100% on this but I don't think it makes a difference. I get that the cone has more surface area but the diameter of the cone is still 13ish inches. We need a physics buff to weigh in.

And are we really doubting the possibility of a SC DD9915 being a better driver than a Team? This is a Digital Designs upper end sub after all.

No it's not the same as saying a round 15 and square 15 are the same. They have easily measurable differences in cone area.

You would be correct I think if the bottom of the Sundown cone moved in addition to the area close to the surround. Basically so that the cone moves forward and then the middle of the cone continues moving forward as if it were going to invert. The shape of the SD cone holds more air but outside of the surround isn't causing more air to move.

No it's not the same as saying a round 15 and square 15 are the same. They have easily measurable differences in cone area.

You would be correct I think if the bottom of the Sundown cone moved in addition to the area close to the surround. Basically so that the cone moves forward and then the middle of the cone continues moving forward as if it were going to invert. The shape of the SD cone holds more air but outside of the surround isn't causing more air to move.

I have an 8" kicker square woofer here at my house and a 8" round woofer... Both woofers measure 7.5" across.... According to losisatool they have the same cone aera because it doesn't matter what shape the cone is as long as they measure the same.... But clearly then square woofer has more cone area even though they both measure 7.5"

do the math. find the formulas and do the math.. you might be surprised..

You only think they lack distortion because they lack upper bass. The tight kick. It's all bull ****. And DDs surrounds don't dimple. The foam density is different to keep that from happening.

So basically it adds a lot of displacement without the need to take away cone area to add excurrsion.

Science.
non-linear movement comes from the shape. the corrugation heights on the spiders a pefft as well..

DD woofers are way overdamped and lack the lowend..

I agree wit Jeffdachef, I once owned a sundown x and that was the biggest mistake ever....now I'm with the XCON and enjoying every bit of it.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Idk any normal people listening to normal music not liking 50 to 80hz on a sub. Everything besides decaf and rap has their bass lines in those regions. Youd be surprised how many average people say they dont like the way sundown Xs sound. When they asked for any other music than bass enhanced music. Id say about 1 in10 people ive demo'd to outside of bass comps likes lows while the rest like normal bass. Even though my lows are way more violentl and i have demoed to countless people.. People seeking lows are not the norm in society and decaf is not the only genre of music ever
That being said, the xcon can get just as low and louder along with hitting every midbass note as well and its cheaper than the X. Hell with the price you pay for the X, you can get a zcon and totally manhandle the lows.. No reason to even touch the X IMO with much better choices for the money out there.

Ive owned a zcon 12 in a trunk on a cheapo hifonics 2400 and when faced off against two sundown X 10 v1s on an saz 3.5k and i was louder and a lot lower with much better bandwidth. The xs were in a 3.5 cubic feet box tuned to 32. My 12 was in a 3 cube box tuned to 33hz. His voltage was the same as mine, his alt was bigger, he had more quality and newer xs power batts while i had used kinetics and he had more amp hours reserve.

Sundown is either for the overpriced novelty or the nuthug nowadays unless we looking at the nightshade or team series or anything from their yardsale.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Idk any normal people listening to normal music not liking 50 to 80hz on a sub. Everything besides decaf and rap has their bass lines in those regions. Youd be surprised how many average people say they dont like the way sundown Xs sound. When they asked for any other music than bass enhanced music. Id say about 1 in10 people ive demo'd to outside of bass comps likes lows while the rest like normal bass. Even though my lows are way more violentl and i have demoed to countless people.. People seeking lows are not the norm in society and decaf is not the only genre of music ever
That being said, the xcon can get just as low and louder along with hitting every midbass note as well and its cheaper than the X. Hell with the price you pay for the X, you can get a zcon and totally manhandle the lows.. No reason to even touch the X IMO with much better choices for the money out there.

Ive owned a zcon 12 in a trunk on a cheapo hifonics 2400 and when faced off against two sundown X 10 v1s on an saz 3.5k and i was louder and a lot lower with much better bandwidth. The xs were in a 3.5 cubic feet box tuned to 32. My 12 was in a 3 cube box tuned to 33hz. His voltage was the same as mine, his alt was bigger, he had more quality and newer xs power batts while i had used kinetics and he had more amp hours reserve.

Sundown is either for the overpriced novelty or the nuthug nowadays unless we looking at the nightshade or team series or anything from their yardsale.
This x1000.
Was in the market for 2x12s a few years ago and the X series was one of my options. The issues with it where exactly what was common to other users (lack of midbass and extremely high price, over 450 dollars for an all china sub that was having serious quality control issues at the time with the surrounds).

The XCON is over 100 dollars cheaper, uses USA motor/voice coil, and is an overall superior sub in both sound and build quality

Sundown nuthuggers don't like to hear a sub $100 cheaper beating it comfterably (I like there owner Jacob, but some of his fanboys think he's the only person on the planet that can design a subwoofer.......)

I love my X18's

Stays quite flat from 25hz-51hz and trails off from there

Great punch on bass kicks and hammers down at 17hz with bass I love you

If you build everything right you can't go wrong with any of the woofers mentioned

Heck even 2 15" L7's will get loud

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.