Sundown X vs. SSA XCON vs. SSA Evil, among other questions.

Just a warning this is literally a copy and paste from a forum post I made on CarAudioForum, so if you see it there don't be surprised, just didn't want to retype the question and haven't gotten a response on there, likely because TLDR lol. Anyway here ya go.

Hey everyone, so I have quite a few different questions I'll list them below.

-Most notably I am trying to decide between 3 sub setups in my 2000 Chevy Astro van. Either 2 12 inch Sundown X's, 2 15 inch SSA XCON's, or 1 15 inch SSA Evil.

Now some information on what the setup would be like, so budget isn't a huge concern (to a point) but saving money is always nice so I want good value, with 2 subs I would be pushing 2000 watts RMS to each, with the Evil I will do 4000 watts. I figure the Evil leaves me a bit of room for "upgrades" too because I could add a second one, new box, and some batteries and amp and have a better setup. Now I'm going for sound quality not so much SPL or competition, but I do obviously want it loud and I like alot of flex ;-)

-Does anyone know how much power the Mechman Elite 370 amp Billet Alternator outputs at idle? This one here, http://www.mechman.com/alternators/b...ree-cable-kit/

-Is a 370 amp alternator with a single deep cycle battery enough for 4000 RMS plus some door speaker amps? Or should I add a few more deep cycle batteries?

-Are the Crescendo PWX midranges any good sound quality wise, or just SPL? Same question for their GT1 tweets, I've been told they're not good for anything but SPL.

-I was thinking of putting 2 small 6.5 inch subs in the rear barn doors of my van (the cutout is already there), is that necessary with the subs, I was thinking they could handle the mid lows so to speak better than the 12s or 15s?

-If I run 4000rms to subs and say 1000w total RMS to all speakers, is 0 Guage 375 amp wire enough from the front for the current level or should I go 4/0 gauge?

-Are in door crossovers any good for tweeters? I've heard bad things and I'll be using the 80PRS from Pioneer as a deck of that means anything.

-Does anyone know of any good custom box building services online? I don't know anyone near me that does it and would rather not build my own (although I have the tools and means to do so but the time is of concern).

-Has anyone on here ever installed subs in the Chevy Astro van? The later model ones (2000 for me) with the updated interior. Not sure how to run wires myself, and I can figure that out of course by taking it apart, but any recommendations or problems someone may have run into would be nice to know of ahead of time.

Sorry for the massive amount of questions, thanks to anyone that answers some or all of them!

Just a warning this is literally a copy and paste from a forum post I made on CarAudioForum, so if you see it there don't be surprised, just didn't want to retype the question and haven't gotten a response on there, likely because TLDR lol. Anyway here ya go.Hey everyone, so I have quite a few different questions I'll list them below.

-Most notably I am trying to decide between 3 sub setups in my 2000 Chevy Astro van. Either 2 12 inch Sundown X's, 2 15 inch SSA XCON's, or 1 15 inch SSA Evil.

Now some information on what the setup would be like, so budget isn't a huge concern (to a point) but saving money is always nice so I want good value, with 2 subs I would be pushing 2000 watts RMS to each, with the Evil I will do 4000 watts. I figure the Evil leaves me a bit of room for "upgrades" too because I could add a second one, new box, and some batteries and amp and have a better setup. Now I'm going for sound quality not so much SPL or competition, but I do obviously want it loud and I like alot of flex ;-)

-Does anyone know how much power the Mechman Elite 370 amp Billet Alternator outputs at idle? This one here, http://www.mechman.com/alternators/b...ree-cable-kit/

-Is a 370 amp alternator with a single deep cycle battery enough for 4000 RMS plus some door speaker amps? Or should I add a few more deep cycle batteries?

-Are the Crescendo PWX midranges any good sound quality wise, or just SPL? Same question for their GT1 tweets, I've been told they're not good for anything but SPL.

-I was thinking of putting 2 small 6.5 inch subs in the rear barn doors of my van (the cutout is already there), is that necessary with the subs, I was thinking they could handle the mid lows so to speak better than the 12s or 15s?

-If I run 4000rms to subs and say 1000w total RMS to all speakers, is 0 Guage 375 amp wire enough from the front for the current level or should I go 4/0 gauge?

-Are in door crossovers any good for tweeters? I've heard bad things and I'll be using the 80PRS from Pioneer as a deck of that means anything.

-Does anyone know of any good custom box building services online? I don't know anyone near me that does it and would rather not build my own (although I have the tools and means to do so but the time is of concern).

-Has anyone on here ever installed subs in the Chevy Astro van? The later model ones (2000 for me) with the updated interior. Not sure how to run wires myself, and I can figure that out of course by taking it apart, but any recommendations or problems someone may have run into would be nice to know of ahead of time.

Sorry for the massive amount of questions, thanks to anyone that answers some or all of them!
Two SSA Xcon 18s, its a full sized van, youll want 18s, take it from one van owner to another.

You will need at least two more group 31 agm batteries fir 4k.

Crescendo PWXs sound a lot better than mids from 'so called" sound quality sets. Very warm and detailed with a full sound. They dont do well with upper midrange and would need a tweeter that can play low to pair with if doing a two way setup. They would work great uf used as a dedicated midbass while you use crescendo UNs for midrange and some silk dome tweeters. The FT 1 supertweets are only viable if you have a Digital sound processor or a good head unit like the 80 prs or else good luck taming them. They are meant to get loud and have nasty sounding snares and sibilant shhh and ssss sounds if left un EQ'd

Thanks for the reply! So I would go with 2 18's but they simple won't fit behind the 3rd seat in this van (about 20 inches of space back there) and I need it in place. 15's would allow me to have 2 inches on either side of the sub for support. Hope that makes sense lol.

Even with a 370 amp alternator?

Alright I think I'll stray away from the FT1 then and go with some good Crescendo mids and tweets. Thanks for the help!

So given my situation about 18's which of the 3 options I listed would you go with?

Xcons all day. Do two runs of 1/0 easier to work with getting lugs and hidding under carpet. I'm not a fan of the pwx, not very clean crossed over 2k the in series will be better high output midrange drivers. Any crossovers keep out of the doors, water will destroy them install behind the kick panel and run wired into the doors.

Alright I am thinking I'll go with Xcons, also I was thinking, maybe I could get some 2/0 welding wire, and just do 1 run of that, it should be able to handle more than what I ever plan to do with this system anyway. And ok thanks for that, I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

Despite the 15 Evil being able to handle nearly twice the power?
Rms does not mean louder it just means you need to dump that much more power for it to work as well. Two 15s will be louder and sound better than one 15 if you have them in proper boxes.

Id go with crescendo UN series mids along with some image dynamics xs28 tweeters. I dont care much for their components yuck.

Get 3/0 or 4/0 wire now. Just in case you upgrade like all us bass addicts do...

Alright thanks for the advice, so would you advise the XCONs over the Sundown X series and if so why?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll go with something like that then!

I am thinking of just going straight 4/0, figure why not lol.

Alright thanks for the advice, so would you advise the XCONs over the Sundown X series and if so why?
Thanks for the heads up, I'll go with something like that then!

I am thinking of just going straight 4/0, figure why not lol.
Xcons dont take much work for them to get loud and sound good on any music. While sundown xs are box picky which translate to horrible 50hz and up response. The xcons have aluminium shorting rings that help with the upper frequencies and can also slam the lows just as hard. Overall is a much better sounding sub than the X.

Alright that's great to hear, I'm likely going with the XCONs now, but I have one more question, what do you know about the Contralto subs? I could grab 2 15 inch Crescendo Contralto subs for not much more money, are they much better of a sub though?

[quote name='Jeffdachef']Xcons dont take much work for them to get loud and sound good on any music. While sundown xs are box picky which translate to horrible 50hz and up response. The xcons have aluminium shorting rings that help with the upper frequencies and can also slam the lows just as hard. Overall is a much better sounding sub than the X.[/QUOTE]

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff....How many times have we been over this? The X series subs from Sundown have one thing in mind: To play very low notes. And that's it. They aren't made to play 50, 60 70 Hz and up like some people don't like. Get a diff brand sub if you wanna hit 60Hz notes.

OP, I'd suggest the SSA. @denim will thank you for it. Just beware tho you might wait a long time for your subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.