Sundown X vs. SSA XCON vs. SSA Evil, among other questions.

Yea still waiting for Jacob to come out with the 6" excursion 18" woofers so I can buy new subs:crazy:
Haven't been into car audio world much but that sounds pretty interesting. Is that going to be over the team subs ?

Haven't been into car audio world much but that sounds pretty interesting. Is that going to be over the team subs ?
Idk Jacob been talking about it for a few years now. Hopefully he's close to getting it done... FI is coming out with some crazy technology next year... Watch out for that one.

You only think they lack distortion because they lack upper bass. The tight kick. It's all bull ****.

And DDs surrounds don't dimple. The foam density is different to keep that from happening.

So basically it adds a lot of displacement without the need to take away cone area to add excurrsion.

Science.

You only think they lack distortion because they lack upper bass. The tight kick. It's all bull ****. And DDs surrounds don't dimple. The foam density is different to keep that from happening.

So basically it adds a lot of displacement without the need to take away cone area to add excurrsion.

Science.

Lol taking it back old school talking about the cone area bullcrap. Sundown cones are deeper. They have more surface area.. No loss in cone aera at all if you ask me.

15" FI cone next to a sundown 15" team cone and the team cone deeper/more surface area

Lol taking it back old school talking about the cone area bullcrap. Sundown cones are deeper. They have more surface area.. No loss in cone aera at all if you ask me. 15" FI cone next to a sundown 15" team cone and the team cone deeper/more surface area
Learn how displacement works.

Also just to add to the distortion crap.

Example of a SQ car. Distortion pulls the sound to the speaker that has it. Sub bass is omni directional on its own. It can't be localized unless something gives away its postition like ; distortion, rattles, to hot over the midbass. Therefor all the woofers that tend to do well in SQ would be pulling the sound to the back of the car. But they don't. So the distortion is proven BS.

I am here to help with any SSA questions. The SSA Xcon is an outstanding subwoofer that is very proven, made/machined in the USA and is on sale by the way.

So since there so happened to be so many replies I'm just going to reply with one big reply, so look for your name below with the response also there is a general set of more questions below the names. Thanks again for all the help everyone, much appreciated, best response I've gotten on a forum before I think.

Loudz: Alright thanks for the info, I think I might actually be able to afford the ZCON so might jump to it, was doing some of the math and should still be able to get 4-5 cubes per sub with extra batteries and the like. For the price would you agree though ZCON over Sundown X? Also to join into the argument a bit (lol) I had a Sundown X8 on 1K, and honestly I was blown away with what that little thing was able to do, I don't care what some say, they make great subs. I would demo it for friends and what not and they wouldn't believe it was an 8 inch sub, even blew away my buddies dual 12's (albeit they were Kenwood in a sealed box lol).

Jeffdachef: So by what you have said I am assuming you would say go for ZCON's if I can afford them (just got a new job and realized I'm pretty sure I can, along with a Crescendo 5800w amp)?

LosIsATool: Thanks for all the input you've added, I'm actually thinking of grabbing the ZCON's now, honestly they're not much more money and I was going to be running a Crescendo BC5500D anyway, thoughts?

Denim: Seems everyone is saying this, I think I'm goona stick with SSA, just thinking of doing dual 15 inch ZCON's instead now.

General Questions: I actually first off have an alternator question, I'm currently looking at Mechmans alts (if anyone knows anything better let me know) and in doing some research I recently learned that lower output alternators generally output better power at idle than higher output ones, is this true?

I'm currently looking at this page, which is all what Mechman says will fit my Astro, Alternators - Chevrolet - Astro - 4.3L - 1996 - 2005 - Mechman Alternators

I'm wondering if spending the 700 bucks is worth the 370 amp versus the 350 for the 240 amp, Mechman claims at LEAST 200 amps at idle (more depending on engine idle of course), but I am wondering if say the 370 amp pushes 210 amps at idle, and the 240 pushes 190 amps, what's the point of the doubling in price? Since pretty much all bass demos are done at idle anyway. Oh and something to note, multiple alternators is not an option in this case, did some research on the Astro and in order to do more than 1 alt you gotta remove the AC compressor, which I am not willing to do. So I need an alternator that can keep up with my BC5500D amp, and about 1K watts for the door speakers (actual usage would be lower on the doors, but I'm just saying what the amp output is goona be). I will be using 4 Optima YellowTop deep cycle batteries as well.

Thanks again for the massive amount of help!

I got my HT setup with a sub that can play up to 120hz clean. In the van its 20 to 70 so yeah its lacking top end as well in comparison.
Only running soundqubed because its the cheapest option available and its available locally. Not gonna drop needless cash on sundown nor will i ever buy those g*y looking surrounds.
Your steering off course Jeff. We're talkin' about car audio not home audio. granite that's how car audio started was throwing tower speakers in cars but that's a diff story. Your off course, man.

Nothing wrong with sundown subs. There's so many to choose from that it's almost unbearable...but you made the AQ choice. You get what you pay for.

Sundown yardsale and "surprise me" also "grab bags" are a hit lately. Can't beat the pricing over a new sub.

Yes sorry meant to mention that lol, there was a lot I missed there for a while. Yeah the Sundowns are great as well, been happy with them in the past myself. But I think I wanna try something different this time around, I'm now planning on going with the ZCON's. Also if you didn't, please do read the last section with the alternator question from my last post, been doing a ton of research but haven't found the info I'm looking for.

OH and one other question, I've read from some people that they run a ground wire back to the front battery, is that necessary or should one good ground in the back be fine? I've never done a system of this caliber, so sorry if I sound like a noob lol.

Your steering off course Jeff. We're talkin' about car audio not home audio. granite that's how car audio started was throwing tower speakers in cars but that's a diff story. Your off course, man.
Nothing wrong with sundown subs. There's so many to choose from that it's almost unbearable...but you made the AQ choice. You get what you pay for.

Sundown yardsale and "surprise me" also "grab bags" are a hit lately. Can't beat the pricing over a new sub.
what do i get huh? you just talking straight sh*t to soundqubed which i dont care about either, its just what works for now till i swap out to real subs.

What is the actual point is, you guys talk like 50hz+ doesnt matter and make it sound like its the norm which is absolute horsesh*t. ANY good sounding sub can play up high clean. If it cant play up high loud and clean you are missing out on musical information period.

Actually a DD 9915 displaces more volume than a Sundown Team 15.
https://vdyoutube.com/watch?v=eDyzytCnj94

That guy is so full of shlt!!! He already took down his team sundown vs DD 9900 video because they were crap testing!!!! The guy even said it himself he took his videos off YouTube because the test weren't right. To many people were calling him out on his shlt! He had some team 15 with a weird spider... My buddies team 15s didn't look anything like the team 15 that guy had in the video. Also when he measure the cone he measures straight across and that's not what you do. U have to take in account the whole surface area... I don't care if people say I'm wrong that's not how you measure but it is. You need to whole surface not just straight across.

Like say u have a bowl and you want to cover it in leather, the inside of it. (weird example I know) and you still want it to be a bowl and hold stuff. Well if u measure straight accross and cut the leather and then go to wrap it you won't have enough leather... But if u measure from one side the bowl down inside all the way around the curve to the other side the piece of leather would be a lot longer to fully wrap the bowl... That's the best way I can explain it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.