sundown vs alpine type r?

bebitte3o
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
montreal
I search the best sub possible in small ported boxe,a lot talk about the SA and alpine,I have 2 amp(kicker kx1200.1 and kicker kr360) I will test what is better for my sub!

I plan to buy SA 10D2 600rms/1200peak good?

or the alpine is better?

thank's !

I'd go with the kx1200.1

Here's some other subs to consider since you'd be overpowering the SA by a good amount

American Bass XFL - 1000w RMS (cheapest option)

Incriminator Death Row - 1000w RMS

Fi SSD - 1000w RMS

It all boils down to the proper enclosure for your subwoofer while taking your vehicle's cabin gain into consideration. Both of those subs will perform great in the right enclosure and not so great in the wrong enclosure. IMHO, it would boil down to price or availability when choosing between the Sundown and the Alpine. In other words, if I was ready to buy a sub yesterday, I'd go with the one that could be in my hands the quickest.

There is no vs here this is apples to oranges bro. SA wins

This coming from a guy who has heard SAs once, and rolled with type Rs most his teenage years

still got the luv for the type arrrrrgh though....dat sub for $50 new...prob best value i ever did see. Helluva sub, will hold up to a pounding, considering best buy sells it.

There is no vs here this is apples to oranges bro. SA wins
This coming from a guy who has heard SAs once, and rolled with type Rs most his teenage years

still got the luv for the type arrrrrgh though....dat sub for $50 new...prob best value i ever did see. Helluva sub, will hold up to a pounding, considering best buy sells it.
New model Type Rs are nothing like the old ones. They've got 2.5" coils now and can take the full 1000w they're rated for with no problem

New model Type Rs are nothing like the old ones. They've got 2.5" coils now and can take the full 1000w they're rated for with no problem
.....when i owned type rs they took 600wrms and already had 2.5in coils.......never heard of them rated for 1kwrms, maybe peakin disbelief of your statment.

Thus I may be wrong in this may google shedith light onto this gray area.

.....when i owned type rs they took 600wrms and already had 2.5in coils.......never heard of them rated for 1kwrms, maybe peakin disbelief of your statment.
I'm actually not too disappointed in the 2012 Type Rs, they have a legitimate 1000w RMS rating rather than the 600 they used to. My friend has a pair of them and they perform well for their price. They don't quite stand up to my XFLs but they're also cheaper

Alpine SWR-12D4 (swr12d4) 12" Dual 4 Ohm Type-R Series Car Subwoofer

i have it, it takes up to 1.2k before distortion and heat takes over.

Although i heard a sundown SA 8 V.2 and it was louder than the alpines and they were only on 500 rms and in a much smaller box.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank's,I forget one thing,it's for two sub and for open space(boat)I test my amp side by side with three old 10'' jl audio and the result is close,but I wan't something hit hard,alpine SA or anything,I will build box is the the best for my need,ported or sealed? I think 3 cube L ported will be good for me,if you have better sub for me GO lol!!

New type r's are a 2.6" coil and 1000rms. And from my experience are a nice upgrade in SPL over the 600 rms models

What about AB XFL 12" vs Type R 12"? I'm thinking of getting an XFL and a new amp to power it, or should I just put a bigger amp on my type r?

The xfl should get louder than the r
My XFLs get much louder than my friends Type Rs on the same power. Of course a lot of that is probably the install, so take that for what it's worth.

Type Rs just feel cheap to me, but of course they're only $150 each. Not bad at all for the price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.