Sundown vs. Addictive Audio

Hey guys,

So I have a 2012 Kia Soul (funny car to have a build in), that I currently have 3 idmax sealed on 3 JL JX1000. I enjoy the sound very much, it's pretty tight, punchy, but I want to "experiment" with the other spectrum of subwoofers a bit. I would be using a skar 4500.1D to power either two Sundown Z 12s, or two Addictive Audio V4 12s. The prices would both be pretty similar, and they would be in a 5 cube common chamber ported box tuned to around 30hz. My question is which Subwoofer would provide what, and overall which would be the better choice? One of my biggest issues is I like a wider frequency range, not simply all low-end, which I hear the X series of sundown provide. What would you guys do?

Thanks,

Mike

what are you talking about lol. if its the mega roll surround then you will only get low end and no balance in the upper bass frequencies at all with sundowns. If you get the traditional surround then yeah it'll sound okay, but in a big low tuned box you arent gonna get much other than low output bass unless the sub has shorting rings etc.... Like the ssa Xcon which helps with the upper bass freqs.

I'm not expecting ridiculous upper range haha, I was simply saying I wasn't looking purely for low end, so if one would provide a bit wider of a range that would be a plus to me. Also, my buddy has an Addictive Audio V3, in a ported box and it still seems to provide a very full sound although it's in a larger ported box, so I was curious if that would transition to the version four or not. I don't read much on addictive audio.

I'm all open to other suggestions as well. Basically I'm looking for the best subwoofers I can throw into a dual ported 5 cube box tuned to 30 hz, that may maintain some musicality as well as getting loud. My three idmaxes can get pretty loud, but I want more. I've heard of the ssa xcon but I don't know much on it, it's something I would consider.

So with the amplifier provided or an audio legion 5000, which set of subwoofers would get louder in the scenario presented? Ssa or sundown X? And am I correct to assume the ssa would provide the wider range I was referring to, as well as still being louder than my 3 idmax? Or would the JL Jx1000 be enough to power either of those subs?

If you want a wide bandwidth you might want to tune above 30hz. How much 25hz program material do you actually listen to?

Sundown Z is a great platform but I'd avoid the large roll surrounds, they add enormous cost when and if you ever break them and need to recone.

Not sure if x-con can hang with 5K though I'd bet on it being better sounding.... really you'll need to be careful with any pair of 12s at that power level but the z uses a pretty chunky coil (and I believe an American made one).

IMO just about any sub that'll want that much power will sound about the same.

My concern is I listen to such a vast range of music I want EVERYTHING to sound good, because well, who wouldn't? The mega roll is actually one of the concepts that turned me on to it. I als imagine it gives a particular sort of sound, that may not be the most musically appealing, which is why the ssa interests me. People are raving on the website about the sq and apparent loudness, which is what sold me on my idmaxes, but unneeded three of them to achieve the loudness I wanted, which now isn't enough because it's never enough, and the sealed isn't allowing for the low end dim looking for. I'm kind of stuck.

Okay so it's looking like it's between the xcon and Z. Obviously the Z can get low, how do the xcons fair? Will 5 cubes at 30hz be god for them, and where could I pick two of them up for a fair price?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.