Sundown sld 10 question

psylo535
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
tampa,fl.
Anyone have any experience with these. I have a pair of sd4 10’s sealed and they are just not cutting it. Problem is of course space. Got a 2018 Tacoma double cab and there is very little room back there. Was wondering if a single sld 10 ported would have more output Also open to any suggestions if you’ve had the pleasure of working on the 3rd generation Tacoma for subwoofers

I'll go get some. Problem is the box needs to be custom to go around a piece on the back wall. Right now i have two custom made boxes that are .5 c.f each and that's about all there is back there.The mounting depth is about 5" and they are angled. A typical angled truck box won't work because of the metal bar and also they put the power rear window motor there. Thanks Toyota

Here is what I have now. Just wondering if I'd get more output from a single ported shallow 10

Someone,please allow this man to design you a Blowthrough!! Lol
I really wish I had the guts to chop my truck up man. I would really enjoy a project such as that.

I can design anything, hit me with it. Get a topper and just take out the back glass, you don't have to chop up the actual truck to do that.

How much power you running to them?
I got 1200, rms going to the pair. I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with the sld ported. I use my truck for a truck and not doing a blow through or topper. You guys would love to chop up my new truck !!! So the real question is would I get more output from one ported or just keep the 2 sealed. That’s all I have room for and can’t use the bed of the truck. Thanks
How much power you running to them?

Ported will always sound better then sealed especially on Sundown subwoofers. Talk to buck about a box for the two of them in a single ported box. Usually he can figure something out that works with the space you have to work with. SLD is supposed to be a decent shallow subwoofer. the SD series were built for sealed only vs the SLD which were made to work with both but ported imho always sounds better in the end even.

I dont need a box built, I'm not sure why everyone keeps suggesting that. I can build a box, I just know for a fact I don't have room for 2 ported. I'm not willing to give up anymore space than behind the seat in this truck. I've asked the same question over and over if anyone had any experience with them. I know they are different then the sd4. Just trying to figure out if one ported is going to make a difference from 2 sealed sd4's

What they are trying to tell you is if you email Buck he may be able to design you a box that will fit both of them ported in that space. Of course it would be up to you to build it but he doesn't charge that much to do it.
Ported is IMO the way to go but if it was possible to fit both ported in that space wouldn't you rather do that?
That would be the loudest.
It might not even be possible in witch case I would go with just 1 ported but it's worth the inquiry to see if it is.

I dont need a box built. I just know for a fact I don't have room for 2 ported. Just trying to figure out if one ported is going to make a difference from 2 sealed sd4's

I have to agree with you after seeing that photo you posted, that space looks awfully small so doing 2 ported will be a stretch and be either be smallish airspace or port area IF you find a way to fit it.

If what your lacking currently is decent lows I'd suggest a single Sld 10 ported. It won't gain across the board but will definitely put the emphasis down low (fatter lows) if that's what you're lacking currently. "A different sound so to speak"

I've seen others ask for dimensions and am curious as well, you said there's some BS back there to build around and that sux but nothing is impossible unless it's IMPOSSIBLE... lol.

Personally I'm not a fan of sealed box subs no matter the manufacturer, the decent ones always are accompanied by "esoteric" pricing and that negates the performance for me. I think as long as your expectations are realistic a single ported 10 may do the job. I truly dislike the peak most 10's produce in a small sealed box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.