Sundown SD-3 Line : In the Works

sundownz
Pro Seller

Supporting Vendor
North Carolina
Sundown SD-3 Line : In the Works

-----

Thanks to the success of the SD-2 8" model I started developing the SD-3 line; this will replace all SD-2 models in 8/10/12" sizes (there is no 15 in this series).

The SD-3 motor and coil design will become under-hung like the 8" model on the bigger 10 and 12" models -- I am also further optimizing the parameters of all models for sealed enclosures... even the 8" model will be tweaked a bit more. They have the same topology as the 8" -- a 1" top plate and 1/2" long coil -- but the 10/12 design uses a 2.5" diameter coil compared to the 2" on the eight.

As far as release date... by the time prototype is done and production is done probably October or so.

-----

Here she is -- the first full 10" prototype :

SD-3%2010-1.jpg

SD-3%2010-2.jpg

SD-3%2010-3.jpg

I am using an inverted surround to save front mount depth.

-----

My least favorite part of verifying prototypes... cutting them down to check measurements. Also verified that the spider was, in fact, not the correct one. It was too stiff ; in the third pic you can see the spider is two layers but it should be a single layer.

Based on my testing and dissection I am doing another round of prototypes. Actually two versions... one set with only some minor gap modifications (with correct single layer spider), and one set also with a wider magnet in case the spider change itself doesn't get me where I want to be.

So hopefully I will have four more prototypes soon.

IMAG0371.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0373.jpg

The X-15 makes a pretty nasty sealed driver -- although, I don't think any customers have used them as such yet. F3 of 38 Hz in only 2 cubes sealed.

Anything in the lineup that would work well IB?
I would personally love to try out a Z v.4 or NS v.3 in an IB install -- IMO they would both do very well. Tons of linear throw, even more x-mech, low resonance, etc.

I would personally love to try out a Z v.4 or NS v.3 in an IB install -- IMO they would both do very well. Tons of linear throw, even more x-mech, low resonance, etc.
I was going to try an IB build with ZV4's, but decided against it. Would they do better in IB than they would in a ported box? If so, I'll try it on the build after my current one

Well I would be willing to be the guinea pig for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif . Finally took the plunge and went IB and I love it. Just want a more capable driver or drivers.

Well I would be willing to be the guinea pig for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif . Finally took the plunge and went IB and I love it. Just want a more capable driver or drivers.
You should totally be Jacob's guinea pig. Post some updates if you do please.

I just saw this thread and it feels like christmas morning! I can't wait to see the finished product - sundown for the sealed boys woohoo! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/happydance.gif.a963168fea27d8453c3ec467ddcf9e1c.gif

I am quite pleased with the 10" model -- we fired one up on Friday with what I believe will be the production suspension in a test box in a vehicle (CRX was test vehicle). Tons of bottom-end and extremely clean and tight bass reproduction. Our box was about 0.6 before displacement; I want to try a bit smaller. We tested everything from rap music to Mudvayne on it [//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif]

These are a driver with a hard limit -- something to keep in mind. As both an under-hung and relatively shallow design there isn't much excess clearance so things can bottom out. It takes quite a bit based on my test (we had an NS-1 on it as it was already installed in the test vehicle). It is very low distortion up until hard bottom.

It looks like we will end up with different motors on each size; 8, 10, 12 all with different motors. The specs on the 10" ended up great with the 190mm OD motor, but it won't cut it for the 12" so we'll probably use the 220mm OD motor. So obviously pricing will reflect this; I am still working on the final pricing and will announce when I have it -- but I feel like they will be worth every penny for small, sealed box, high fidelity applications.

You should totally be Jacob's guinea pig. Post some updates if you do please.
I tried an X-10 in IB. It was very accurate with most types of music, but was obviously lacking in long notes. I guess I prefer the sound of a ported box. Most of my music is boomy, not punchy. Overall, it wasn't bad. It just wasn't loud enough

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sundownz

Pro Seller
Supporting Vendor
sundownz
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date