Sundown SA-12 setup advice

Participant count
  • Participant list
I just purchased my sundown SA12 D2 REV.3 750w rms - would like some input from people with experience with sundown, this is my first product of theirs.

1. I currently have a Hifonics BRX 1516.1d (rms) 1 ohm stable - is this amp too powerful for 1 sa12 wired to 1 ohm? My only other option is to wire it to 4ohm and only feed it 550w rms :/

2. Box size: I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee so trunk space is a nonissue (up to 42" length) I love the lows, but I don't want to lose all of my top end, 2.0^3 to 32hz. Now should this 2.0 be gross dimensions, or the dimensions excluding the L port construct?

My last system was 2 12 kicker cvr on a 1500 crunch in '07(disgusting, I know, but I was 17). Buddy says this 1 SA 12 will hit way harder. But i gotta have the right box, and an amp that won't feed it too little/too much. That's where u come in //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I appreciate any input and opinions good or bad so I can weigh all my options and go from there - thanks guys, glad to be back in the bass world ?

That's what I thought. It was a small sealed enclosure in a camaro. It hit pretty good, detached my rear view mirror once.. But I guess time will tell. I'll be building the box in the next week and whatever happens I'll surely put an update. Was just gettin worried about 1500 being too much. N thinkin I shoulda got the 4ohm wired to 2 n feed it 900. It will be a clean signal. Got 2ga wires and a rather nice head unit. Thanks for the quick response, by the way

The hifoncis amp will do 1200 clean probably aet your gains to that. Youll see some flex with it as long as your box is properly built to sundown spec. Go 2.0 after all displacements.

See, that's where I'm struggling. I can't seem to find a good way to calculate all the dimensions to create a 2cu ft AFTER. I was looking as some "2.0 33hz" designs and it would say "1.63cu ft" inside the speaker cabin. I want a box that will measure 2 inside the port area, right? Maybe I should just pay to have someone give me a blue print.

I'm a mechanic so I have access to many electrical equipment tools n whatnot - I got a good understanding on how it all works.. But I've never built a tuned box for a sub like this.

sundown supplies a free blueprint on their website. Just need sketchup. Also realize the bass your going to get from this sundown compared to the kickers will be a different bass. Those kickers were loud and boomy 45hz+ probably this sundown will be low focusing mainly in the thirtys. It will reah the 40s but like i said difference type of bass. Some like it some dont.

Definately try and set the amp clean. 1200 clean is no issue on this sub. And you want probably 2.0 after all displacements. SAs don't need huge port area. I've had good luck with them around 14^2

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.