Sundown Neo-SPL 2015

sundownz
Pro Seller

Supporting Vendor
North Carolina
Hey guys,

This is a project I've been working on for a while... it's origins date back to 2009 with my unfinished 4" coil Neo design (some may remember it) :

Proto NEO 4" motor - Car Audio Classifieds

I put the whole thing on hold to concentrate more on things that would really grow the company & our dealer base. That being said... fast forward 5 years now and I have the opportunity and ability to work on this again.

As far back as 2009 I knew I wanted to go after my Neo SPL design with a 4" coil -- so I did that again. This time I went for a good bit more Neo and a different / unique design :

3.JPG

So this is my first prototype / first fully completed Neo prototype. This may not be the 100% final version but I think it's close. I should have it in my hands early on in January for testing.

Few quick details that I am releasing now...

1) 4" voice coil

2) 16 slugs of N42H Neo (N48H was a large cost increase with almost no increase in flux)

3) Will be sold in 12s, 15s, and 18s

4) Pricing is TBA as I go over all the final costs of the motor... certainly not cheap; the motor itself costs about as much as 7 pcs Z v.4 motors based on my early estimates.

5) It is mated to a 10" frame in the photo for size reference; but I don't currently have plans to make them as 10s

6) Motor weight is ~70 lbs... overall external size is almost identical to a Z v.3 motor.

That is about it for now... except for a quick photo of my Neo chunks :

neo%20magnet-2.jpg

These look a little rough as they were cut into shape; when we end up doing production we'll tool the exact size/shape we end up with so they'll look perfect.

Priced around the DDZ?
Honestly I don't know for sure what DD charges for their driver these days... but this thing will be price according to production costs and that will be pretty steep since we are starting with a motor that costs ~7x what a Z v.4 motor costs to make.

Honestly I don't know for sure what DD charges for their driver these days... but this thing will be price according to production costs and that will be pretty steep since we are starting with a motor that costs ~7x what a Z v.4 motor costs to make.
They can get close to 3 grand. Just make it stronger then the Wardon even if it cost way more please

3 grand to 6k depending on the dealer that is close to you.

Not much market for a sub of this expenditure but the people that have the money to buy it, will want the strongest neo out there that can break world records.

It's a market but a small one. For people short on space. People spend 5 figures on loaded 4th orders with ferrite woofers. People will spend 1/4 of that on a 12 if that's all they can fit. A single Z12 crushed my 2 95is.

Any thoughts of going to cobalt like tantric? If i remember correctly its a hair cheaper while still stronger then ferrite ceramics! Either way both beauty and the beast there jacob!

Just tell me one thing. The Z does very well in a SQ setup is this going for the same thing or pure numbers?
There is nothing about this driver that makes it have a high distortion... in actually has a shorting ring & a few other distortion reducing tricks in it.

If you are someone who likes the sound of a woofer with a mega-low QTS like the Z then you would probably like this too.

3 grand to 6k depending on the dealer that is close to you.
Not much market for a sub of this expenditure but the people that have the money to buy it, will want the strongest neo out there that can break world records.
I do know they won't cost $3k -- so it would be cheaper than the DDZ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sundownz

Pro Seller
Supporting Vendor
sundownz
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date