Sundown e10v3 in ported box, no punch..

Participant count
  • Participants list

Rob654

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi I'm new here...

So I used to be a car Audio fan back In the late 90's and had several different systems, and I've built over a dozen different boxes for myself and friends.

Think my best setup was 2-12" Oz audio subs in a 4 cubic foot sealed box running off a ppi art series amp with a/d/s 6-1/2" components and an alpine head unit. Super clear, distortion free, with great sQ bass. If anyone here knows about those old components, I'd love to hear your advise on my latest issue.

Started watching YouTube videos about car audio and decided to add a sub to my Hyundai / genesis equus. Heard alot of good things about sundown audio, and bought 1-10" e series v3. I found a box design online for a ported enclosure and built that too. Think it was tuned for 32htz, and designed specifically for that sub. I was super stoked to hook it up and hear the great bass I've heard about.

My dilemma is that now its hooked up and sounds like crap in my opinion. Super boomy with no punch; some songs have no mid style bass and other songs have alot of low bass notes, and it basically sounds like a noise machine instead of a smooth part of the system ( the equus has 17 speakers and sounds amazing stock, made by lexicon, or harman/kardon) so I'm asking if it sounds like this because the  box was made to play only low frequencies, or am I doing something else wrong.

If I build a new sealed box, do you think the sundown 10 could have punchy bass, or should I go and buy a different make of sub.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

20190424_225736.jpg

Thank you guys for your replies, I appreciate your time.

I use the measurements from this post online https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/154045-enclosure-for-sundown-e10/

It said its tuned for 34.5htz but I'm not really sure what that means. Does that mean I set my amp crossover to 34.5htz and then the box decides what type of bass I get. I've already set it to that level, but it seems like I dont get any of the higher notes that I'm used to.

I've always built boxes off of the hip and by fluke they have turned out sounding good I guess.

I listen to edm and hip hop.

Dont think it really helps also that my trunk has a solid metal rear deck and no pass though between the rear seats.

sundowns dont have midbass capabilities at all you looking at the wrong company for that. Its good for literally 50hz and below and relies heavily on your midbass to pick up the rest after.   Also if your front stock mids are playing low too you'll be running into phase cancellation issues so the sub and front midbass are literally fighting each other this usually requires DSP control and a proper tune to fix.  For your music choice tune at 37-38hz  32hz is literally for pure hip hop and re-bassed music.

Does that mean I set my amp crossover to 34.5htz and then the box decides what type of bass I get. I've already set it to that level, but it seems like I dont get any of the higher notes that I'm used to.
This is your problem, you have the sub crossed over too low. Set the amp crossover at the highest setting and set the low pass filter on your headunit to 80hz.

By setting it at 34.5hz you have effectively prevented all frequencies above that point from playing. 

The tune of the box is a function of the opening of the port and it's length in relation to the net volume of the box. You can't adjust the tune of a box with a slot port once it has been built. 

Ok thanks, I'll try turning up the rear x over frequency on my amp, but my headunit is factory and doesnt have any adjustments other than bass mid treble and bal/fad.

Is there anything I can put in between the hi/low converter and the amp to adjust the signal further, like you were saying 80hz on the deck. Maybe a preamp low pass filter??

Also, what if I screwed a PC. Of wood over the port. Would it be like a normal sealed box, or would the internal port slot structure screw up the bass wave or something...

Appreciate the help.. sry. For sounding like such a newb 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks, I'll try turning up the rear x over frequency on my amp, but my headunit is factory and doesnt have any adjustments other than bass mid treble and bal/fad.

Is there anything I can put in between the hi/low converter and the amp to adjust the signal further, like you were saying 80hz on the deck. Maybe a preamp low pass filter??

Also, what if I screwed a PC. Of wood over the port. Would it be like a normal sealed box, or would the internal port slot structure screw up the bass wave or something...

Appreciate the help.. sry. For sounding like such a newb 
well you cant expect anything to sound good off a hi low convertor and stock head unit so good luck. You can modify it to be a sealed box, possible effects are a huge loss of output overall but maybe slightly more balanced bass i guess? those sundowns arent really meant for sealed box performance so its a crapshoot.  More concerning part is the stock head unit and convertor situation. But you sound like you dont want to switch the head unit out at all since you have the stock upgraded system so quite a dilemma. 

Yes, I'd like to keep the head unit stock as it isn't possible to insert a single or double din in the dash. 

I tapped into the factory sub to supply the hi low converter, is it possible that that signal was already tuned way low for the factory sub and then further lowered by my amps xover. Not sure why it's such low bass, I'll go mess with the amp xover now.

Thx for the reply.

Yes, I'd like to keep the head unit stock as it isn't possible to insert a single or double din in the dash. 

I tapped into the factory sub to supply the hi low converter, is it possible that that signal was already tuned way low for the factory sub and then further lowered by my amps xover. Not sure why it's such low bass, I'll go mess with the amp xover now.

Thx for the reply.
if the factory sub is still playing you got two different subs in the car at different locations which creates some nasty phase cancellation effects, definitely a GIANT NO in car audio. You also want to get the signal before the factory amp not after. So do that and disconnect the factory sub.

Right, I disconnected the factory sub at the time of install. 

I just adjusted the amp xover to a higher frequency, like 3/4 to max instead of a 1/4 like I had before. The sound improved alot.. 

Now the woofer seems to be making alot of noise as it travels up and down. What would be the cause of that?Underpowered? (For a sundown?) I plan on getting a new mono amp soon.

I'm only running 200watts at 2 ohm off of an old ppi 4 channel amp; that pounded louder before with a JL 12 in a sealed box.

I dont know how I could get the signal before the amp as the head unit I'm assuming supplies a signal to the amp in a signal wire and then the amp distributes everything....I dont know..

Thanks for the reply.

Right, I disconnected the factory sub at the time of install. 

I just adjusted the amp xover to a higher frequency, like 3/4 to max instead of a 1/4 like I had before. The sound improved alot.. 

Now the woofer seems to be making alot of noise as it travels up and down. What would be the cause of that?Underpowered? (For a sundown?) I plan on getting a new mono amp soon.

I'm only running 200watts at 2 ohm off of an old ppi 4 channel amp; that pounded louder before with a JL 12 in a sealed box.

I dont know how I could get the signal before the amp as the head unit I'm assuming supplies a signal to the amp in a signal wire and then the amp distributes everything....I dont know..

Thanks for the reply.
yup clipping and distortion.  The sub takes a lot more power to move.  its that signal you tap into, wire its a full range signal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.