Sundown Audio...Made in USA???

Not to mention, whenever a new version of one of hi subs are coming out he ( Jacob) is waiting on subs to "come in", sundown subs are made in China, amps are korean, it's a well known thing. They may assemble prototypes, but when a line of subwoofers comes out, the stuff they sell is made in china

got a hold of my SD-2's today and these things are massive for a 10" they are way heavier than my old infinity kappa perfects. i still had one box from the kappas, i kinda jimmy rigged a new SD in there and quickly turned the radio on.............OMG!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!! ONE is border line louder than BOTH of the kappas. it really didnt sound that good to start out with....i mean actually like crap. i almost was disappointed. BUT after a few minutes of playing this thing transformed, i mean holy crap what a difference. i was playing a little bass mechanic and jeez what a few minutes makes. I CANT WAIT TO GET BOTH OF THEM IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS to all who helped me decide on SUNDOWN AUDIO. I know they will get better over time. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to beg to differ on the Kappa Perfects. I had a pair for a few years. They were around 30 lbs. a pc. and got stupid loud on 600 watts in a 3 cubes ported at 34 hz. and sounded fucking awesome doing it. I doubt the SD's are are much more than 20 lbs. a pc. or so. One of the only pairs of subs I regret getting rid of. Not saying the SD's aren't great subs but imo there's not really a comparison.

Not to mention, whenever a new version of one of hi subs are coming out he ( Jacob) is waiting on subs to "come in", sundown subs are made in China, amps are korean, it's a well known thing. They may assemble prototypes, but when a line of subwoofers comes out, the stuff they sell is made in china
I bet not to many people can believe that, most of the people that buy car audio now are young people that have no clue what they are buying and just pay for the name brand.

I bet not to many people can believe that, most of the people that buy car audio now are young people that have no clue what they are buying and just pay for the name brand.
It's true, everyone hates on Chinese products, unless they say "sundown" on the dustcap.

This is not true, my x 15 and x. 12 I had both said "made in China", right on the shipping box
The first run was made overseas. But like I said, the X's are assembled in North Carolina, as well as the Zv3 and Zv4 being assembled in NC. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Truthfully you never know where your product is made unless you have inside info; Some of the products used to assemble the complete woofer itself may be made in China or they may be made in Malaysia; Might even be made in the US; different parts are made in different places. They might even be assembled in a completely different country altogether. It really doesn't matter. the APPLE IPHONE is Assembled in China, but the parts are made mostly in other countries for example.

Funny, I was there in South Carolina less than a month ago and there were a few guys doing nothing but building woofers.

It's amazing how much misinformation still gets thrown around here.

Funny, I was there in South Carolina less than a month ago and there were a few guys doing nothing but building woofers.
Well when you see something on the internet it's a fact duh.

That depends on what OP really means. "Made in the USA" and "assembled in the USA" are two different things, I really doubt Sundown (or any other car audio manufacture for that matter) are truly "made in the USA." For example, are the cast baskets and magnets made with raw materials mined from an US-based mine and cast/pressed in a US-based shop? Are the raw minerals and oil for making rubber/foam/woven spiders from US soil? How about the nickel-plated terminal posts, are they machined by a guy in the US? Ask Sundown, ask DC Audio, ask whatever else is around, ask them, where are the minerals mined from and who did the mining, and they'll say they have no idea. Is that bad? No, not really, car audio is nowhere near as important as an airplane chassis or a ship's hull or a car tire where the purity of the material used can affect people's lives, car audio can completely disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't have nearly as much impact as say, Dow and Nasdaq both drop 2000 points.

What people want is quality control done by people who care, if a design/part is defective and/or questionable on longevity then it should be caught by the QC guys, which people tend to trust when they're in the US. However, the fact that many car audio brands (especially the internet brands) use foam or crappy hard rubber surrounds tells me that their products all have a short finite life. Currently, there are NO car audio brands that are "made in the USA", they're assembled in the USA using sourced parts, which I want to say is almost as good, but to say they're 100% made in the US is a lie.

That depends on what OP really means. "Made in the USA" and "assembled in the USA" are two different things, I really doubt Sundown (or any other car audio manufacture for that matter) are truly "made in the USA." For example, are the cast baskets and magnets made with raw materials mined from an US-based mine and cast/pressed in a US-based shop? Are the raw minerals and oil for making rubber/foam/woven spiders from US soil? How about the nickel-plated terminal posts, are they machined by a guy in the US? Ask Sundown, ask DC Audio, ask whatever else is around, ask them, where are the minerals mined from and who did the mining, and they'll say they have no idea. Is that bad? No, not really, car audio is nowhere near as important as an airplane chassis or a ship's hull or a car tire where the purity of the material used can affect people's lives, car audio can completely disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't have nearly as much impact as say, Dow and Nasdaq both drop 2000 points.

What people want is quality control done by people who care, if a design/part is defective and/or questionable on longevity then it should be caught by the QC guys, which people tend to trust when they're in the US. However, the fact that many car audio brands (especially the internet brands) use foam or crappy hard rubber surrounds tells me that their products all have a short finite life. Currently, there are NO car audio brands that are "made in the USA", they're assembled in the USA using sourced parts, which I want to say is almost as good, but to say they're 100% made in the US is a lie.
Very true, and in general the more that is done in-house state-side the better. Even magnetizing in-house will ensure that lower grade magnet slugs aren't substituted from Chinese vendors for example.

Sadly the cost to truly build a woofer out of all American made parts and assemble in USA is prohibitively expensive.... like the cost per unit if you had 1000 made would be greater than a similar sized woofer's MSRP made in China. Considering what most people here think 'high end' equipment is there's not a chance in hell that the market would support the actual cost.

Still assembled in house + American made coil = a good sub in my book.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.