Sundown Audio Amplifiers

HmoobVaj
10+ year member

SoCal
I've never heard of this company until I joined this forum. I looked over their site and they seem to have a decent line of products going. Very nice looking amplifiers but from the classifieds I've seen they come with a price premium. How do they compare with some of the common brands out there (JL, RF, Alpine...ect)?

From what I have found when you really start looking hard at the prices the Sundown amps are actually fairly reasonably priced. You have to compare RMS to RMS. Also generally you can find Sundown amps that are "used" and only like 1 or 2 months old. I just purchased a 100.4 for $300 and its invoice was October and has no marks on it anywhere.

They also put out good clean power and have many tuning features that other amps don't. AND to top it all off Jacob (Sundownz on this forum) the owner is one of the best when it comes to Customer service.

Sundown amps are also underrated, the 1500d is comprable to most 2000 watt amps other companies make. Im also getting over 5kw out of my 3000d. Sundown makes a quality product and has top notch customer service, the owner of the company lives somewhat close to me and i consider him a good friend.

A+ to sundown IMO :0

Sundown amps are also underrated, the 1500d is comprable to most 2000 watt amps other companies make. Im also getting over 5kw out of my 3000d. Sundown makes a quality product and has top notch customer service, the owner of the company lives somewhat close to me and i consider him a good friend.
A+ to sundown IMO :0
What kind of voltage is your 3000d seeing?

15.8, but from what I have heard is that the new batch will be powerful at lower voltages //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

JL=overpriced/over rated.RF= some of there stuff is good.

Alpine= always been good equipment:).
:laugh:For you they are. Jl makes great amps for the money. I'm no fanboy, but they have plenty of people paying to buy them. you definitely get what you pay for with JL. But as to the op's ?, Sundown makes awesome equipment for the $ and is just as good as the brands you mentioned.

15.8, but from what I have heard is that the new batch will be powerful at lower voltages //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Might want to mention that when you tell people your getting 5k outta them so us lowly 12v guys don't expect or are mislead to think that amp will do that power on 12v. Seems that gets left out alot.

You every clamp yours on a 12v setup?

I thought the new batch was same guts, different heatsink? If they will be that stout that would be awesome.

ps...not trying to be dickish, I have a 3000d I'm going to be using in my next setup, I just like realistic expectations //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

That mod didn't make the cut yet, I'll have to completely re-tool the board to make it work how I wanted (which will have to wait). The new ones coming in January will be receiving the updated heat-sink and some tweaks to the soldering process on the raised rail bars, though.

That mod didn't make the cut yet, I'll have to completely re-tool the board to make it work how I wanted (which will have to wait). The new ones coming in January will be receiving the updated heat-sink and some tweaks to the soldering process on the raised rail bars, though.

BOoo lol. I was about to throw mine up for sale since the truck is going by by and im doing a 12v setup.

15.8 isnt "that" much more than a solid 14.4 electrical btw //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif and last time i clamped mine i got 53XX watts woot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

VERY nice amplifiers(sundown). We tested a 1500 D at a wired 1 ohm I do believe. With imp rise it was around 1.6 ohm and tested at 1550 watts RMS and this was done with a clamp meter and a multimeter. Test voltage was around 13.8 so TRUE 1550 which may not sound like a lot for a 1500 watt amp but considering most "1500 watt amps" even if they do put out 1500 rms after IMP rise it is more like 1100 to 1200. THis was 1500 at 1.6 ohm i am sure at a true 1 ohm this thing would do close to 1800 to 1900 rms. Very impressive considering the cost of this amplifier. what is retail 599??? come on a true 1800 watt rms amp for 599 retail. that is insane. so when you look at it like that.... I hate the fact that so many people will read a real test and they are like well amp A did 2000 watts and it is same cost. Come to find out Amp A did it at .5 ohm burp at 16 volts. yeah I would hope so. Apples to apples this would compare to a true 1800 watt rms amp. And I don't see many of those floating around for 599 msrp. do you? lol

I have a 1500D and I couldn't be happier. Good solid amp, looks good and is powerful. I don't have tests to back that up but I know it's doing what it should. Jake is awesome with customer service on top of that.

:laugh:For you they are. Jl makes great amps for the money. I'm no fanboy, but they have plenty of people paying to buy them. you definitely get what you pay for with JL. But as to the op's ?, Sundown makes awesome equipment for the $ and is just as good as the brands you mentioned.
I would take a SAX1500D over a 1000/1 any day any instance.

I personally run four SAX3000Ds in my Street Max van and couldn't be happier.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.