Sundown 2012 Frames : Samples Arrived

Can't wait to order a couple baskets cones and spiders. Are the spacers the same. For all baskets or each basket have a different Spacer?
This new spacer ring is uniform for 10/12/15 -- on the old models we had to make 3 different units 10/12, 15, and 18 as the frames don't have the same bottom OD.

I'm no expert but these baskets seems like a quite an improvement in terms of strength and overall design. Did you get a patent for that design, when

if at any time, will these frames be part of a new Sundown 8", 10", 12" subwoofer line? Looks sturdy, do you mind if I ask if there is a difference in the

material used to cast these new frames that you used in the former, and what material was used in previous lines to now? My guess is some sort of die

cast metal composite.

I'm no expert but these baskets seems like a quite an improvement in terms of strength and overall design. Did you get a patent for that design, when

if at any time, will these frames be part of a new Sundown 8", 10", 12" subwoofer line? Looks sturdy, do you mind if I ask if there is a difference in the

material used to cast these new frames that you used in the former, and what material was used in previous lines to now? My guess is some sort of die

cast metal composite.
Yes; our SA-8 v.2 frame and all three of these are in the patent process and have been for some time now -- so they are protected. Once our 18" frame is tooled it will be patented as well.

Almost all speaker frames that are not stamped steel are cast aluminum -- as are these. You occasionally see polymer frames or other odd-balls but usually just steel or cast aluminum =)

These 10/12/15 frames will appear on all of our lines ABOVE the SA series; likely starting 1Q next year as it will take some time to get them in stock along with the soft parts -- unless a driver has a ton of excursion, power handling capacity, and/or serious heft to it then it's not worth it to use these due to the cost; so we'll reserve it for 3" and 4" coil drivers. As the original post indicates these have ALOT of aluminum in them -- basket production piece cost is almost directly proportional to mass so naturally :

10" 12-spoke : 1.7 lbs

10" Sundown : 4 lbs (2.35x material)

12" 12-spoke : 2.3 lbs

12" Sundown : 5 lbs (2.17x material)

15" 12-spoke : 3.4 lbs

15" Sundown : 7.9 lbs (2.32x material)

I do have some ideas in the works for a "light duty" tooled frame for the SA and SD-2 lines but these were my first priority as I feel that frames are more of a limit for me on beefier drivers -- the 4 and 12-spoke work well for 1kw and less units... none-the-less I do plan to bring my own frames out for smaller drivers later on.

why the increase in depth?
As a speaker moves both up and down you must have adequate clearance for the desired level of excursion in the rearward direction behind the spider; otherwise the spider will smash into the top plate. Being that we are shooting for over 4-5" p-p on these frames (depending on the size) -- we need to have 2-2.5" or more of space behind the spider to the top plate.

You also need adequate depth from the spider to the surround to ensure lateral coil stability (no ticking) and also to have enough cone depth so the cone doesn't rub against the spider at high levels of travel -- both 4 and 12-spoke frames are quite problematic in 10" size when using the 8" landing... and when using the lower landings you are limited by a smaller spider and less rearward clearance.

So the summary is actually simple -- for the speaker to move more we need a taller basket //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

As a speaker moves both up and down you must have adequate clearance for the desired level of excursion in the rearward direction behind the spider; otherwise the spider will smash into the top plate. Being that we are shooting for over 4-5" p-p on these frames (depending on the size) -- we need to have 2-2.5" or more of space behind the spider to the top plate.
You also need adequate depth from the spider to the surround to ensure lateral coil stability (no ticking) and also to have enough cone depth so the cone doesn't rub against the spider at high levels of travel -- both 4 and 12-spoke frames are quite problematic in 10" size when using the 8" landing... and when using the lower landings you are limited by a smaller spider and less rearward clearance.

So the summary is actually simple -- for the speaker to move more we need a taller basket //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Point taken. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif i like them anyways.

Got some photos of the 10" cone/surround -- the first one to be completed. Stay tuned as the other sizes are completed.

10inch%20cone%20sample-1.jpg

10inch%20cone%20sample-2.jpg

so, i'll ask again. when/can we buy individual parts? i surely could use a 12" basket for the phx2 i'm about to rebuild, and a surround for an alphasonic i'm going to upgrade. can't wait to see one of these in action.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sundownz

Pro Seller
Supporting Vendor
sundownz
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date