Subwoofers cutting in and out

Participant count
  • Participant list

phatcat600
10+ year member

yeah my name is stupid
I am running two Q12's in 2.2 cubes @ 32hz each, powered by a 2000 watt Hifonics (yeah, I know.) amp

Everything was fine for the last 10 months, now all of a sudden at higher volumes the subs cut in and out. The amp is not going into protect, the subs will just boom a few times and then barely do anything for 5-10 seconds, then boom again.

My wiring is all still connected. Any ideas?

Edit: The ground wire looks a little green on one side like it is corroded, but it it should definitely still be a good enough connection. Wouldn't a bad ground make it go into protect anyway?

Are these single or dual voice coil subs. Sounds like a vc may b cutting out but id recheck all wiring and grounds,sub wiring, tben check the vc with a dmm for the proper ohm reading

Q's are dual voice coil. They are getting pretty old, 2009 model; a voice coil issue scares me. Checking the sub wiring inside the box would be the last thing I ever check, they've been hooked up for 3 years and everything inside is very sturdy.

How do burnt voice coils work? I thought once they were done they were done...but they will play consistently at middle volumes without issue. Anyone else have anything to add?

Check all wires first. You may b to check the vcs for proper impedance from the hookup at the box if you know how they where wired ie d2 to 4 or .5 ohm or d4 wired to1 or 8 ohm ect. If one vc is way off check the wire first but may b vc u will normally get an ohm reading on the meter if u put one lead on pos one on neg a burnt out coil will usually show ol on the meter.

I don't remember what impedence the subs were, but I know I had them correct to be wired to 1 ohm. There are two sets of terminals and they are dual voice coil subs. Both sets of terminals test out to 1 ohm. Does that rule out a burnt voil?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.