Subwoofer's are making a clicking noise at higher volumes

Participant count
  • Participant list

MrAcd

Senior VIP Member
GA
Recently my subs started to make this annoying clicking noise at higher volumes, the subs are not clipping either. Could be tinsel slap, or i read something about the terminals arcing. It is doing it on both subs.

Hooked up the DMM and they still read a 2 ohm load, and if i press down on the cone, all feels fine and i do not hear any scratching noise. I read that it could be that it could be a leaky box too or that the dust cap had came off. I have weather stripping around the gasket and dont suspect it is leaking.

I guess my next attempt is to remove the subs and play them free air and get a look at everything. I attached a video and you can hear the noise when the note hits.

Can happen when spiders separate. Sounds like a recone if its not the box
No dont say that haha, i was scared of that being said. Once i uninstall it will it be easy to notice if that is what has happened?

My ladies sub was disconnected at this point:

RH8HdrM_sZQBnabm9pQDySmwax5EJniFitOTHoYhBcY

Which I believe is the spider. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anywho, it would make a clicky noise every time the speaker would move up and down past center, or resting. It was a simple enough fix. I used some gorilla glue and went around the entire seem. I wasn't light with the glue, but I didn't glob it on either. I moved the cone up to get under or inside the parts I couldn't get when sealed. Allowed it to dry to make sure there was no parts I missed. Then I did the same thing on the top part. I globed the glue on a piece of paper and spread it on the spider with a toothpick. Once the glue on the paper was dried and fully inflated, I hand tested the speaker by moving the cone up and down as far as I could go without breaking anything.

I found that gorilla glue was a great cost effective solution because of its flexibility. Also through a couple aged threads I found many claiming that it was a more effective solution than buying the glue specifically for repairing spiders. I'm about 2-3 weeks in and it is still holding up great.

My ladies sub was disconnected at this point:
RH8HdrM_sZQBnabm9pQDySmwax5EJniFitOTHoYhBcY

Which I believe is the spider. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anywho, it would make a clicky noise every time the speaker would move up and down past center, or resting. It was a simple enough fix. I used some gorilla glue and went around the entire seem. I wasn't light with the glue, but I didn't glob it on either. I moved the cone up to get under or inside the parts I couldn't get when sealed. Allowed it to dry to make sure there was no parts I missed. Then I did the same thing on the top part. I globed the glue on a piece of paper and spread it on the spider with a toothpick. Once the glue on the paper was dried and fully inflated, I hand tested the speaker by moving the cone up and down as far as I could go without breaking anything.

I found that gorilla glue was a great cost effective solution because of its flexibility. Also through a couple aged threads I found many claiming that it was a more effective solution than buying the glue specifically for repairing spiders. I'm about 2-3 weeks in and it is still holding up great.
I had to do this with a pair of mtx ts55 square subs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can anybody else confirm about the video not being watchable. I thought as long as i sent a link you could look at it.

Also, i did do a free air and im almost positive it is tinsel slap. I took the subs out and the right sub (main suspect) had white marks on the cone above the leads, also if i applied pressure there is a really faint click sound. after bending the tinsels downward with my finger and re applying pressure this clicking sound was gone.

Spiders on both subs showed no damage, so i assumed they were fine. I just pressed down where the spider meets the coil and saw no separation on either subs. Both subs make the noise but one (i can only assume) starting slapping earlier than the other, or maybe it had only sounded like it was coming from both.

I attached a picture of the top cone on the main suspected sub

Xzc0wnO.jpg

FRRu6PL.jpg

what do you mean by "so they dont sleep n touch together"

The foam pad was what i was thinking as well

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.