Subwoofer Stopped Working?

shivr

Canada
The sub just stopped working randomly when I went to start my car, then the next morning I started my car and the sub worked again and I went to double test and turned my car off and turned it back on again and the sub no longer worked and hasn't worked since then.

I spent hours testing everything so I'll list everything I done and see if anyone can see something I'm missing, or confirm what the problem is, I suspect the SW output is dead on my headunit.

AMP is brand new MB Quart FX Series 700W - Confirmed working.

Sub has been tested in a different car with a different amp and worked.

I am using a Kenwood deck - not sure what model but its 2-3 years old.

I tested power cable to amp getting 12.3, Remote wire 12.3, ground is good, checked all fuses and they seem fine.

I've checked the wiring at the harness and redid ALL the wiring and everything is perfect.

I tested the RCA cables and they work, I figure the SW preamp on my deck is broken, but it's still putting out voltage, is that possible?

I was testing on DC the 2000m setting it was getting 90~ on low and 120~ when I had the volume turned up.

So in summary,

I've tested every single cable and they all are getting power.

I've checked my wiring with the harness and everything is connected.

I've checked every fuse.

I've checked the subwoofer.

Is that 12.3 at idle or with the car off? To rule out the Hu and or rca's, start by plugging an ipod (phone, mp3)into the amp with a 3.5mm to rca adapter and see what you get. If that works, your problem is the rca or hu. If it doesnt, your problem is the amp or the connections.

double check the sub. that amp is 2 ohm stable if its resting lower than that its going to be the problem. Just because you test it on another amp doesnt mean its all good the other amp might have been 1ohm stable and not shutting down.

I cannot confirm that the amp is perfect, but I also swapped it out with a buddies alpine 500 mono and still nothing. So two brand new amps have been tried.

Yup, I went and tested the sub with multimeter and it says its 4 ohmz. Does that mean anything in terms of it's functionality?

I went and bought the 3.5 to RCA and tested that, everything hooked up as normal, but using the IPOD with the RCA adaptor and got no sound.

I measured the RCA coming from the deck in DC and it shows voltage, doesn't that mean the deck is shorted out since it should only produce AC? I also measured it in AC and got 9.3~.

I only tested the sub by using on my friends 450 watt old *** kicker amp, and my other friends 4 chan amp, both played through the sub but pretty quiet, I figured it was just cause the lower wattage and the amp was still powering a few other small speakers. But maybe it just wasn't reaching enough load to shut the sub down? Because my friend said "Just because you test it on another amp doesnt mean its all good the other amp might have been 1ohm stable and not shutting down."

So I guess it could be the Sub still?

If the ipod test and another amp didnt work, its your sub man.You could push the cone down with your hand a listen for grinding or scratching. Not sure though if you're getting a 4 ohm reading on the vc. Aside from testing the charging system with a dmm, you should have it on ac setting when checking voltage or setting your gains. What kind of sub is it?

I don't hear anything when I push on the cone, I took the sub right out of the box this time and when I measure the ohms at the leads that attach to the terminal on the sub box, it's reading at the lowest 19.6 ohms. I was steadily climbing to like 100+ then I removed the leads and tried testing it again and it started at 90 omh and slowly worked its way back down to 19.6.

The sub is a Alpine - SWR-1043D

Holy moley. I'm about to blow this car up.

I tested my system with my friends sub, it was a long tube truck sub running off a 4 channel 750 watter and pretty sure the sub was a 4ohm.

So could that be why I couldn't get any sound to come through it? Cause I have no other sub to test it on.

I'm either going to take it to audio shop or just go out and buy a new sub and hope that fixes it, based on everything I've posted, what would you do?

Still getting voltage through Remote, Power, RCA's, Tried two different amps, ruled out that my HU isn't the problem(unless that blew ontop of my sub...), It can't be the amp cause I tried both amps, I retraced all the wiring and everything is still mint. I'm almost convinced it is the sub. I tested the charging system and it's fine. So should I go pay someone or do you think It's safe to just go buy a sub considering I've done almost every test I can possibly think of?

Holy moley. I'm about to blow this car up.
I tested my system with my friends sub, it was a long tube truck sub running off a 4 channel 750 watter and pretty sure the sub was a 4ohm.

So could that be why I couldn't get any sound to come through it? Cause I have no other sub to test it on.

I'm either going to take it to audio shop or just go out and buy a new sub and hope that fixes it, based on everything I've posted, what would you do?

Still getting voltage through Remote, Power, RCA's, Tried two different amps, ruled out that my HU isn't the problem(unless that blew ontop of my sub...), It can't be the amp cause I tried both amps, I retraced all the wiring and everything is still mint. I'm almost convinced it is the sub. I tested the charging system and it's fine. So should I go pay someone or do you think It's safe to just go buy a sub considering I've done almost every test I can possibly think of?
So you tried a different sub? What were the results? If you have a small speaker, hook it up to your amp and give it very low volume and see what happens.

Did you read what I posted? No offense lol. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Did you read what I posted? No offense lol. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I did and you didn't post results. You tested and what happened? You didn't say man.

Yeah I attempted to test it but I couldn't get my friends sub to make any sound.

But I was wondering if it could be because it was like a 300 watt smaller amp and maybe different ohmz? Could that be a problem? My amp was 2ohmz stable and 750 watts.

I don't have anymore subs or speakers to test it on sooooo I guess..

I'm just going to go buy a new sub regardless, probably gonna go for the 12inch new type R, or do you have any suggestions for a new sub? If that doesn't work I guess I'll go buy a new deck as well, because at this point after all the testing I've done, I'm assuming it has to be one of the two things.

Thank you a lot for the help btw.

Well... I bought a new sub and still nothing works.

I tried doing the 3.5 to rca adapter trick with my old amp and my new amp and couldn't get any sound.

This makes ZERO sense to me, If I did the ipoD trick trick then that rules out the headunit...right?

But I just bought a new amp and a new sub.. could it be a problem with the remote wire stuff coming from the headunit? but I tested it and it's still getting 12.3

Tomorrow I guess Im just gonna try a different ground spot but I doubt it's that considering it worked before.

Brand new box

New Sub

Tried new amp & old amp

Installed new wiring

Did Ipod + 3.5 adapter trick and got nothing

Well... I bought a new sub and still nothing works.I tried doing the 3.5 to rca adapter trick with my old amp and my new amp and couldn't get any sound.

This makes ZERO sense to me, If I did the ipoD trick trick then that rules out the headunit...

But I just bought a new amp and a new sub..

Tomorrow I guess Im just gonna try a different ground spot but I doubt it's that considering it worked before.

Brand new box

New Sub

Tried new amp & old amp

Installed new wiring

Did Ipod + 3.5 adapter trick and got nothing
Hook everything up then make sure you amp is coming on. Green light only. Then pull the inline fuse and put it back in.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.