Subwoofer sounds worse each day

John Z

A little over a month ago I had installed a JL audio 10" ported box sub with a JL audio 300.1 amp. The setup was awesome in my opinion at first and then after a few weeks of great sound, it just seemed to die down to half power out of nowhere one day. I brought my vehicle back to the audio shop where I had it all installed and the guys who installed it said that it's all fine and in my head. A week later, it started to sound even quieter and lost most of it's punch, so I went back a second time and they still told me it sounded fine and I started to get frustrated. I spent $600 cash on it all and it's depleting in sound quality day by day and the "professionals" persist to tell me that nothing is wrong. All they do is listen to it and they don't physically check anything. At the moment, it sounds like garbage. It's still putting out bass, but the only way I know how to describe it (since I don't know terminology) is if you're listening to rock music, the bass guitar and carried out low tones are noticeable and fuzzy sounding, kick drum bass is almost absent and unfelt, sometimes poppy depending on the song. Overall, it sounds worse the higher the volume. I don't know what to do, if I should bring it all somewhere else to get checked or to go back to the initial install location, for a third time, and see what's up, after all, both my sub and amp are on 2 yr warranty at that location.

$600 for that? Ouch.

Make sure all the wiring you can easily acess is nice and secure. The positive connection at the battery, the RCAs at the amp (and a

If you can, at the LOC or head unit - wherever they're coming from), both the power and ground wires at the amp, as well as the wiring to the sub. Also, follow the ground wire from the amp and make sure it's securely bolted to bare, paint free metal.

It won't help any, but if it persists get a decibel meter app if you have a smartphone. Measure it every couple of days from the same spot. They're not necessarily accurate, but you'll get to compare the results.

check the screws holding your subwoofer in to the box - sometimes they come loose and allow air to leak past / sub to rattle around

also sometimes the spot on pre fab boxes where the speaker wire comes out of - that plastic can break - or become un sealed from the box... you want your box to have no air leaks - any possiblity of air entering or exiting the box exept for whre the port is....

if you find air leaks - seal them up.

as stated by another member - check your connections on wires from the amp. and also look at wher your amp - terminal is grounded to your car. that connection needs to be realley good / clean / tight / solid to allow the amp to play well.

Just out of curiosity did you go online and check the prices of the stuff they sold you. If not I would. Then take it back to them, explain that it.sounds like **** and if they can't fix it. Return it. Buy the stuff yourself and save 400 dollars..

Yes, I just went to another professional audio shop and these guys just nit-picked the shot out of everything, basically telling me I was ripped off by several hundred dollars that I worked my **** into the dirt for. They said I was sold pieces of junk and that my best bet would be to sell my current set up and upgrade to quality components.

Each "pro" shop will trash talk eachother and try to sell you their own products. The only way to save yourself from another ass raping is to start doing it yourself and know the ins and outs of your system if not, your just gonna have a downward spiral of d-bags charging you for hack jobs.

for sure the guy who installed this system won't notice any difference in sound quality because he didn't use to hear it on daily basis, unlike you

you used to hear your sound system a lot that's why you are the only one who would be able to notice any differences in sound quality even if it's slightly differences

if your system is getting worse, that's means either your subs or your amplifier are getting damage

you have to check your subwoofer wiring, to make sure that the subs running at compatible impedance with your amplifier

for example: if your subs is dvc 4 ohm, and you wired it 2 ohm

your amplifier MUST BE compatible with 2 ohm impedance otherwise you have to wire it @ 8ohm

if you are wiring your subs 2 ohm load, and your amplifier is not stable @ 2 ohm load, that would case a damage to your amplifier

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.