Subwoofer Settings

sugaray54

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
I am able to control my subwoofer with my stereo, as far as the volume control and crossover settings. Where should the gain and other "dials" for crossover be set to on the back/side of the subwoofer. In the middle, or near the low end???

I am able to control my subwoofer with my stereo, as far as the volume control and crossover settings. Where should the gain and other "dials" for crossover be set to on the back/side of the subwoofer. In the middle, or near the low end???
If you’re running crossovers through the stereo, you technically don’t need to use the crossovers on your amplifier. The gain needs to be set to match your volume on your stereo. There won’t be a specific place to set it.

Put the crossover on your amplifier higher than you have it in your stereo for the LPF on your amplifier. I just put mine on “full range” if you have that option. The amplifier does nothing as far as crossovers are concerned. I want all the control at the head unit.

Max out the crossover on the amp, like Slug said.
Bring head unit control to 90%, crank the gain on amp until it distorts, then back it down.

The crossover point and slope will take experimentation, but 80Hz with an 18dB/octave slope is a good place to start

I have a built in amp. Thanks for the responses. I noticed after playing with subwoofer dials, that it was too much with all dials in the middle. I put them a little less than half and am able to notice more of a spread when turning bass volume control as well as changing crossover frequency within stereo. When they were directly in the middle, it was too loud when my subwoofer volume control was really low. So you are saying I should change all four of the dials to max? Should they all be set differently? Slug kind of gave me two answers; one to leave alone, and then to max out. I thought originally that there was no effect of the dials since all sound was operated by the stereo and bass volume control. I have 4 dials; Gain, Freq 50-125 HZ, Bass Boost Level 0-12, Bass Boost Freq 40-100HZ

I would leave the bass boosts all the way down when setting the gain. You can adjust those after your amplifier gains are set correctly if you’d like a little extra bass.

I would leave the bass boosts all the way down when setting the gain. You can adjust those after your amplifier gains are set correctly if you’d like a little extra bass.
Yah thanks. I am not that patient/skilled to set things like that. If there were a general area to leave all of them, I could follow. I like how my eq sound sounds for the most part on a pre-set, but I would not know how to achieve it on my own. It sounds pretty good , with all dials a little less than half. My subwoofer volume is usually at that place too using 63hz mostly, it is a huge amount. For bass music its perfect, but for rock it can be a bit much.

You might not even want the bass boosts if your gain is set correctly. With the EQ on your stereo, I would just turn those all the way down, set the gain (which is a necessary step for good sound), and use your EQ instead. The EQ will do a better job anyway than bass boosts on the amp will.

I would set the crossover on its highest setting and the bass boosts on the lowest setting and just adjust the gain. Use the crossovers in your stereo and the EQ and just ignore the settings on the amp except the gain.

Ok so then my gain on the sub should reflect where it sounds best on volume control? Turn the bass boost almost all the way down? The other 2 don't matter?

I would set the crossover on its highest setting and the bass boosts on the lowest setting and just adjust the gain. Use the crossovers in your stereo and the EQ and just ignore the settings on the amp except the gain.
So ignore the "HZ" dials, or turn them all the way up?

Ok so then my gain on the sub should reflect where it sounds best on volume control? Turn the bass boost almost all the way down? The other 2 don't matter?
The gain matches the volume on your head unit. That needs adjusted. Turn the gain on your amp down all the way, set the volume on your stereo at the highest level you would actually listen to it at (usually 75% of max volume on the stereo), go back to the amp and slowly turn your gain up until you hear it distorts then back it off just a little. Now you know the max volume you can turn your stereo up to before your sub starts sounding bad. The bass boost and bass boost frequency turned all the way down. The crossover knob turned all the way up.

Max out the crossover on the amp, like Slug said.
Bring head unit control to 90%, crank the gain on amp until it distorts, then back it down.

The crossover point and slope will take experimentation, but 80Hz with an 18dB/octave slope is a good place to start
When I do the first part where should the subwoofer volume control be set? Stereo volume to 90%, adjust gain on the sub, but what about the volume control under stereo?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...