Subwoofer Recommendation

Participant count
  • Participant list

MitchCanada

Number of subs preferred: 1

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 12" or 15"

Budget: 500 CAD (400 USD - ish)

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): JL JX-1000/1D (1000w @ 2 ohm)

Space available (for box): 20" wide, 15" tall, 16" deep (flexible on this)

Goals: Replacement/Upgrade. I like lots of rumbly bass, but I like it to sound clean.

Listening habits: I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, lots of trap/house music

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: Have only ever had a Alpine SWR-12D4 (now broken) that I am replacing. No preferred brands.

Just broke my subwoofer in my move, and am looking for a replacement.

You will have tons of good choices. If it were me, I'd go ID Max. You Xfl's, SA's, Lethal Injection, etc. Lots of solid choices.

You will have tons of good choices. If it were me, I'd go ID Max. You Xfl's, SA's, Lethal Injection, etc. Lots of solid choices.
Just spit balling around, why would you pick the ID Max?

Out of the other options you listed there, for some reason the Lethal Injection sub caught my eye. However, I don't know what any of the options are really, or what they would do at an end result.

Currently on an ID kick haha. I like a more accurate great sounding sub than big boomy bass. But like everyone will say, it's all enclosure dependent. I have a Lethal Injection 12 but sadly it's only been out of the box once for photos. Never been powered so I have no personal experience with it. But IA has a great rep so I'm sure it's every bit as good or better than what you hear about it. Have shredder2 design a box build for whatever you choose too.

Just spit balling around, why would you pick the ID Max?
Out of the other options you listed there, for some reason the Lethal Injection sub caught my eye. However, I don't know what any of the options are really, or what they would do at an end result.
With the space listed I'd do a single ported 12 for sure.

i am very satisfied with my Fi SSD 12 ported....and i think they are still discounted/on sale....be prepared to wait (1-1.5 months)because they are hand built in house...but well worth it!!! i paid $284 shipped for it (standard copper coils, no added options)

That's NOT a ton of space listed...(2.1ft3 gross before displacements)... IDK... I suppose that using a round and maybe settling for a smaller volume with whichever 12" driver you choose would be an option. But too many compromises will inevitably affect the end result. If that much space is really all you're willing to give up, I'd probably do a single 10" sub as the volume will be closer to optimum and will have better (probably) response.

This is an example only... not a recommendation. This is a slot ported Sa-10 enclosure that's 1.4ft3 around 15in2^ft3 just for space comparison purposes.

8vBudz.jpg

Now this one was fun to design... and would do REALLY well on an even larger amp. But fine on a JL1000 I think. It's actually around 3.25ft3 gross to get 2.06ft3 net... that's one sub I wish I had to play with. I feel it's never good to compromise on volume too much, but that's IMHO. It's not really a small box, but one fairly capable single 12 that's for sure.

d3tX6P.jpg

I like that second enclosure, sure would sound good in my car... lol

Now this one was fun to design... and would do REALLY well on an even larger amp. But fine on a JL1000 I think. It's actually around 3.25ft3 gross to get 2.06ft3 net... that's one sub I wish I had to play with. I feel it's never good to compromise on volume too much, but that's IMHO. It's not really a small box, but one fairly capable single 12 that's for sure.

I like that second enclosure, sure would sound good in my car... lol
The space I listed above is just the size of my current box, as I liked how much free room it left in the trunk. I'm always willing to go bigger. Is it alright if I private message you when I get exactly how much space I would be willing to play with?

I can try to help... sure... but bass takes space. And porting a higher excursion sub is gonna eat up some volume. What driver are you thinking of?

If you want a double baffled slot ported enclosure thats gonna be fairly low tuned and for your power... I'd try for around 3ft3 gross... that's spitballing and only an estimate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.