Help me understand subs a little better

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
Yes, I've done a lot of research, used the search functions (which isn't working again dammit), etc. I know about T/S parameters (not enough yet, though), mass of the cone, motor force, and so on. I do get how they work together a little bit, but not enough to truly understand. Is there a primer on this which will help me figure these things out which you can point me to?

If it helps understand what I'm looking for, read on... I was trying to explain to my friend how his sub, though rated for more watts than mine, would most likely not be able to get as loud because of its specific measurements. We got into the easy part of how his 12 has less surface area than my 15, and how his xmax of 1 inch or so was less than my 2 inches or so. (not real numbers. I just don't remember the exact amounts) When we began getting into motor force and how just because a magnet is stronger doesn't mean it's a better sub, how more wattage doesn't mean a thing without the ability to utilize that wattage, and so on, that I began to realize I need to learn more.

So, can someone help me out with a website or four? lol I'd really like to be able to wrap my head around this and get a good grasp finally. Thanks!

Buy a copy of the loudspeaker design cookbook by vance dickason.
Solid suggestion, always a great starting point.

OP, another good starting point is to never come to this site to search anything. Just google your query and read the many threads that pop up worldwide where real scientific discussion is taking place. Not the spewing of ignorant opinions you find here.

Also, have you read the wiki? It's a pretty good primer before getting into discussions. You can slice through the paramaters from different perspectives so it helps to formulate specific questions and use the parameters to answer them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small_parameters

i started where you were. i got tired of reading everything from so many sources online years back, so i just decided to go hands-on and buy a s+l woofer tester 2 from a buddy, who i also asked for a copy of bassboxpro6 and access key.

both have comprehensive manuals and it's fairly time consuming, but even just messing around with arbitrary drivers and looking at all the different variables you can inject in real time (for theoretical mock up) brings a better understanding to the ability of a driver. impedance plots are very telling once you understand how to augment it and extrapolate it's importance. i mean, im far from being proficient at it during this point in life, but ive got the drive and means to put it on the back burner for a later time, im just too busy collecting mid-higher end old school equipment right now, lol.

Yes, I've done a lot of research, used the search functions (which isn't working again dammit), etc. I know about T/S parameters (not enough yet, though), mass of the cone, motor force, and so on. I do get how they work together a little bit, but not enough to truly understand. Is there a primer on this which will help me figure these things out which you can point me to?
If it helps understand what I'm looking for, read on... I was trying to explain to my friend how his sub, though rated for more watts than mine, would most likely not be able to get as loud because of its specific measurements. We got into the easy part of how his 12 has less surface area than my 15, and how his xmax of 1 inch or so was less than my 2 inches or so. (not real numbers. I just don't remember the exact amounts) When we began getting into motor force and how just because a magnet is stronger doesn't mean it's a better sub, how more wattage doesn't mean a thing without the ability to utilize that wattage, and so on, that I began to realize I need to learn more.

So, can someone help me out with a website or four? lol I'd really like to be able to wrap my head around this and get a good grasp finally. Thanks!
To gain a real understanding, what you should probably look in to: Ordinary Differential Equations, in particular "damped spring mass systems." From the perspective of mathematical modeling, a speaker is a driven, damped, sprung mass. The study of ODEs will help you understand resonance, "damping factor", and the relationship between input and output power (look into the "amplitude gain function," a section of the book on ODEs that for some reason we frequently skip when teaching engineers). You may also want to learn a little bit of electricity and magnetism in physics (Ampere's law being the most relevant one here), and a touch of classical physics (learn what "work" and "power" are, as defined by physicists, and in the application to signals in electrical engineering).

You can most likely use specific T/S parameters to make practical calculations from there.

Also, just a note, be careful where you get your information from. Enthusiasts and installers do not necessarily know what they're talking about, even if they seem like cool dudes otherwise.

I was just watching a video about T/S parameters on the CAF channel on Youtube, and his explanation of Q was not correct. There is a difference between stiffness of suspension (or stiffness of a spring, commonly denote k in the mathematical literature) and the damping factor (commonly denoted gamma). The guy in the video did not seem to understand that completely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.