Subwoofer Recommendation for Ski Pass?

Participant count
  • Participant list

E46Guy

NC
Hey everyone I want to install a sub into my ski pass in my BMW e46 sedan like this:

Hp5XIC7.jpg

NQxiLQM.jpg

6tkZpsw.jpg

But I need some recommendations.

I want 1 subwoofer.

I need an 8" because width of ski pass is approximately 9.5".

My budget is

I listen to everything but mostly rap.

I was thinking the SWR-8D4 Alpine Type-R or the Sundown SD-2 8"? I'm not sure which is better but are there any other recommendations especially considering it will be free air and not enclosed? Research tells me enclosed systems perform much better but I need the space in my trunk and directing the sub into the cabin will presumably increase its effectiveness.

Is there a possible enclosure I can make that still directs the sub into the ski pass without taking much room in the trunk? This way an 8" will sound better or I can get a 10"? There are about 14" of vertical height behind the ski pass in the trunk. Not sure if an enclosure will make that much of a difference though and would it take a lot of room or can I build a small one right against the ski pass? Any insights?

That thing probably sounds awful... Definitely go with an enclosure and a single 8. Doesn't sound like you wanna be crazy loud and just wanna sound decent. I would recommend a sundown sa 8. I had one of those in my truck and it sounded awesome and still gave me the output I was looking for at the time. Definitely do an enclosure.. Do not try to just throw an 8 on a piece of wood and rig it to stick on the ski pass. Since you sound like you don't want to give up room you would be happy with an 8 in a proper box. You can also look into American bass vfl 8's which would fit your budget very well

That thing probably sounds awful... Definitely go with an enclosure and a single 8. Doesn't sound like you wanna be crazy loud and just wanna sound decent. I would recommend a sundown sa 8. I had one of those in my truck and it sounded awesome and still gave me the output I was looking for at the time. Definitely do an enclosure.. Do not try to just throw an 8 on a piece of wood and rig it to stick on the ski pass. Since you sound like you don't want to give up room you would be happy with an 8 in a proper box. You can also look into American bass vfl 8's which would fit your budget very well
Thats called infinite baffle, and has the potential to sound better than any ported box.

So I did some research on creating an Infinity Baffle setup and its just too difficult with the Sedan because there are many openings or holes that don't shut off the trunk from the rest of the car. I still would prefer a sub directed into the cabin because I have read keeping it sealed in the trunk greatly decreases effectiveness of subs in the e46. So right now I am looking at possibly doing this.

2012-03-30%2014.35.28.jpg

BMW E46 Convertible Custom Built Armrest Sub Bass Box Enclosure for Subwoofers | eBay

I like this because it goes into the cabin, still allows me to have a lot of room in the trunk, and is enclosed. This is for a 2 door so I would have to find or make one for a sedan. Do you guys think this would be a more effective and better setup?

So I did some research on creating an Infinity Baffle setup and its just too difficult with the Sedan because there are many openings or holes that don't shut off the trunk from the rest of the car. I still would prefer a sub directed into the cabin because I have read keeping it sealed in the trunk greatly decreases effectiveness of subs in the e46. So right now I am looking at possibly doing this.
2012-03-30%2014.35.28.jpg

BMW E46 Convertible Custom Built Armrest Sub Bass Box Enclosure for Subwoofers | eBay

I like this because it goes into the cabin, still allows me to have a lot of room in the trunk, and is enclosed. This is for a 2 door so I would have to find or make one for a sedan. Do you guys think this would be a more effective and better setup?
With a ski hole like that, its just calling out for you to do a 4th order blowthrough with an 8, 10 or 12. Definitely pay for a good design.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.