Subwoofer Quiet Issue

rAiN_Twist

Hello, new to the forum so I hope this is where this is supposed to go. I have a custom built system, it has:

4 Kicker 5.5” coaxial woofers for front and back

2 ferret capacitor

JL AMP (not sure exactly what it is, my dad builds competition boxes and he gave it to me)

15” kicker dual voice coil CVR sub

And of course a massive box in the back of a 98 GMC Yukon with built in amp rack.

Issue: I’ve had this problem almost since the system was put it. The sub would hit really hard, and works just fine. But some days I’ll get in and the sub will play very very quiet. And usually the way I would fix it is just turn the sound up and up and the bass would catch and it would start playing loud again. But recently, it just stopped. It doesn’t even play quiet anymore. The amp lights are still on, and my speakers are also running off the amp and they are working fine. I’ve suspected head unit for a long time, but wasn’t for sure if it was the head unit or not. I don’t want to go out and start buying a bunch of things trying to find the solution. Hoping you guys could help, thanks!

Edit: Farad [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
4741b2c9638248ca8614a78ea7a8d99c.jpg

My sub did what you described and it turned out it was blown
That’s what I thought at first. But it still sounds great and usually when they do that, if they are blown you can push in on them a little bit and they will start working for a second.

It’s also been doing this for about a year. Maybe longer.

I think I may have found the issue. I pulled out the amp rack today, and was messing with the head-unit, and RCA cables. Nothing was working and I was about to put it back in and I flicked the switch on my 5th and 6th channel from LP filter to OFF and back to LP filter. It started hitting good as new. So I think my 5th and 6th channel are starting to fail.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.