Subwoofer jumpers with electrical tape

Golitan11

Canada
I have a Sundown SA-12 D2 wired in parallel (@1 ohm) and I figured out I did it wrong. In other words, for the jumper cables, I used KnuKonceptz Karma SS 12 gauge (because this is what I got) but two wires (from the first voicecoil and to the amplifier) at the same time were not fitting in the subwoofer terminals. So I decided, because I am a genius and I just wanted to finish as quick as possible to hear it (bad idea), to strip the wires coming from the first voicecoil twice as long as it should to be able to insert them into the second voicecoil terminals, and then to twist and tape the end of the wires coming from the amplifier to the extra bare wire of the jumper cables (this is why I stripped them twice as long). It is working, but I am trying to figure out for how long. Since I screwed my subwoofer and everything is in place, can I just keep this like that? Is it in some way dangerous? Thanks.

P.S. I also did this for all my headunit wire harness but I guess I can redo it because it is accessible, so no problem there.

You'll always know what you did and how sloppy your method was. You could have jumped them without trying to stuff two 12ga wires into the terminal. You run a pair from each terminal and join the amp leads and both pairs of terminal leads in one location. Use proper wire clamps and shrink wrap of course. You'll feel better about it.

I'm surprised they couldn't fit the two wires. Then again I've never wired a sundown sub. One way I've seen work is to insert each wire into opposite sides of the terminal, if it has 2 holes. If you want to keep the extra-long stripped wires, I'd solder the other ones onto those ends. Or put a single wire in and splice it to two...but I'd prefer the first two options to that one any day

But I mean how can it cause a short (for example if a bare wire get loose) inside the box where there is nothing else to contact?? Logically, the subwoofer will just stop working... That is the part I don't understand why it can be in some sort "dangerous". Thanks for someone who can explain me this.

It can short against a multitude of diff things and if one of those one in a million chances happen you can have a fire, it does happen don't be lazy do it right it could cost a max of twenty bux

But I mean how can it cause a short (for example if a bare wire get loose) inside the box where there is nothing else to contact?? Logically, the subwoofer will just stop working... That is the part I don't understand why it can be in some sort "dangerous". Thanks for someone who can explain me this.
Example: One wire comes loose... The remaining voice coil still functioning can cause the loose wire to vibrate and bounce around causing an arc against the other leads or basket. Viola, blown fuse hopefully....worse, blown amp

I learned this the hard way many years ago, if you know it's wrong just fix it. It's always going to bug you, always going to be in the back of your mind and it MAY someday be a real problem. Fixing it may take an hour out of your day.. Just do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.