Subwoofer and mounting / box for 99-05 Pontiac GrandAm advice wanted

Participant count
  • Participant list

Banndit

Canada
Subwoofer and mounting / box for 99-05 Pontiac GrandAm / Olds Alero 4dr sedan wanted

- we are not going for show/looks or SPL

- we do want quality sound and good sensitivity/efficiency

- price is a factor

- since we have it already, we are likely going to use an Alpine CDA-117 and PXA-H100/KTX-H100 Audyssey Imprint kit to replace the stock Moonsoon head unit

- we already have the PAC C2R-GM24 interface adapter

- budget says to retain/reuse the factory Monsoon amp/rear speakers, but may upgrade front speakers

- perhaps could use the powered output of the CDA-117 to power the subs??

- we are not quite sure how to setup the PXA-H100 with rear stock speakers tho' as it doesn't give such a wiring example...

- we are not likely wanting to move to just-subs-no-full-range in the rear since the kids back there like to listen also

The sub/box can NOT interfere with trunk space, and we still need to be able to fold down the rear seats for hauling things, otherwise we could just use a pre-built like a powered Bazooka tube idea.

So, the idea is to mount under the rear deck in between the stock 6x9's. There is very little space here, so only a single/mono 8" or 10" SHALLOW subwoofer is possible.

But a problem is that the trunk lid has torsion rod supports and they run across this area.

Some 'mounting platform riser' is needed to clear these torsion rods and allow their use and passthru yet still seal to the rear deck.

We are concerned that a free air sub would 'push' too much on the stock 6x9 cones.

We see lots of posts about various "this is best brand/model" sub, and we appreciate that, but first we must get the sub mounting on deck solved.

And yes, I searched using the terms of "grand am" subwoofer.

So, looking for pointers/ideas to pre-built subwoofer boxes for this GrandAm rear deck, or to articles on installs for this subwoofer application.

No, keep the 6x9's in place, they make plastic baffles that go behind the 6x9's , but all in all subs wont effect the sound of the 6x9's I had mine going with two subs in the truck and the 6x9's sounded just fine. put one sub in the middle of the rear deck free air and call it a day, it wont sound that loud but it's better than nothing.

No, keep the 6x9's in place, they make plastic baffles that go behind the 6x9's , but all in all subs wont effect the sound of the 6x9's I had mine going with two subs in the truck and the 6x9's sounded just fine. put one sub in the middle of the rear deck free air and call it a day, it wont sound that loud but it's better than nothing.
Ahh, I see what you mean. Like those wood 6x9 boxes (except those won't fit in this case).

The stock stereo is mostly loud enough, except for cranking it for more bass, so I'm hoping that'll be just enough sub. Besides, I don't want me kids deaf at age 6.

Do you know of any pre-fabbed 'spacers' or such that will allow a sub to go in the middle of the rear deck?

That is the big question since the torsion rods are in the way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.