Subwoofer Advice

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello everyone, I need some advice on choosing the right subwoofer(s) for my car. I have a 2009 Lincoln MKS (sedan). It has a THX certified audio system, which is a lot better than I thought it would be, but I don't like the factory sub.

I bought a JL Audio 1000/1v1 amp and originally planned on putting my old Kicker CVR 12's in my trunk, but I want new subwoofers for sq. I would still like the subs to get loud when needed, I currently listen to a mixture of metal, classic rock, and rap. If I had to put a number on it, I would estimate that I listen to rock genres about 60% of the time, and rap music the other 40%. I'm looking for something that'll blend nicely with rock music, but still has a decent thump when I listen to rap. That may be too much to ask for.

After hours of research and about 30 or so old threads that I read on this forum alone, I decided to sign up to get yalls opinion. I was interested in the Image Dynamics IDQ12's, but recently found a good deal on a Hertz HX300D in my city. I really want a pair of 12's, but the guy who has the Hertz sub says I should be good with 1 with the right box. If I only got 1 instead of a pair, would the amp be too big for it?

The last couple of days I have been going back and forth trying to decide between the IDQ12's and the HX300D. The guy I bought the JL amp from says I should go with 2 W6's or 1 W7. I understand that JL makes high quality stuff, but I'm still interested in the IDQ's and the HX. I've seen some good deals on used subs, do y'all have any tips on buying used (what to ask the buyer, what to look for when I see the subs, etc.)?

I can't find too much about Hertz' subwoofers online, but this thread on this forum is what got me interested in them. I know it's just a random guy on the internet, and it's a 6 year old thread, but it got my interest.

Also, I will attempt to build my own sub box once I decide what to get. If that's something I should leave to a professional, please let me know. I don't have a preference of box, I just want whatever is best for the sq, whether it's sealed, ported, t-line, etc. Any info/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Id run a single 12 in a ported enclosure like an American Bass XFL 12, or a Sound Qubed HDS312 in 2.0-2.6 cu ft@32-36 htz..You might take a look at a Dayton HO 12 also..Dayton carries a 5 year warranty on theyre subs,and sound great for the money

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.