Subs stopped working

Participant count
  • Participant list

Scavazzo

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, 1st post here. I need some help, I recently hooked up a car audio system in my vehicle and it stopped working. It was working fine last night when I came home from work. I hopped in my vehicle this morning and no bass. Here’s what I have:
2 sound stream bxw124 12” subs. (4 ohm dvc wired down to 1 ohm)
AR1.4500d sound stream amp
I have 2, 1.5 farad soundstream capacitors hooked up as well.
I also have a soundstream ar1.2500d hooked up as well that’s not powering any subs currently. I will eventually be running 4 of the same subs but they haven’t been delivered yet.
So, the subs were hooked up to the 4500, and nothing this morning. The lights on the amp are illuminated, the power light is on, protect light is not on fyi. Bass knob light comes on, everything powers up as it should. So I get to work, and pull the speaker cables out of the 4500 amp and switch to the 2500 amp, nothing. The subs aren’t producing anything.
I have 0 gauge wire run from battery to stinger distribution block with an in line fuse at the battery. I then have 4 gauge wire from distro block run to the caps which are wired together in parallel, then 4 gauge right into the amp. The caps are showing over 14 amps when the vehicle is running on the meter.
I also have a 0 gauge ground into another distro block then 4 gauge run into amps. It is grounded to the tub of my Jeep, paint is sanded off and proper ring terminal and bolt used. Like I said, everything was working until this morning. I don’t think I ever got the power out of my subs that I feel I should have though. I used to have a kicker system in my previous jeep that would shake everything like crazy…this soundstream system, not so much. I have two more subs being delivered on Monday, so I can’t test different subs on the amps until then.
My amps gains are very low, turned up less then 15% so the subs wouldn’t clip and all other controls on the amp are all the way down including the bass boost. I’m using 16 gauge speaker wire…not sure what else I can tell you about the system. Please let me know what else I can try to make my subs work…oh, I can push on the sub with no weird sounds or anything and no restriction of movement.

I know my wires are messy…I’m not done yet.

Attachments

• CF4038EF-BA82-4C01-AC78-ED9FE073878C.jpeg
    CF4038EF-BA82-4C01-AC78-ED9FE073878C.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 592906D3-FF67-4A29-BBDE-8E245A3654D6.jpeg
    592906D3-FF67-4A29-BBDE-8E245A3654D6.jpeg
    785.6 KB · Views: 15
Soundstream amps for the most part don't make rated power so maybe that why you didn't get what you thought you should from your system. And 14g seems small for sub wires imo.

I’m an idiot…I went into my head unit setting and somehow the sub output was turned off. Not sure how this happened but turned it on and they’re working. However though…will upgrading to a thicker gauge speaker wire be beneficial? I’m using less than 3 feet of speaker wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...