Subs playing words! Help

Levelup1

CarAudio.com Recruit
I've been racking my brain over the last long couple of days over this situation. I have 2 12 subs and a toro r5 amp, and I'm getting words through the subs with muffled sounding bass. I have bought a new head unit, tried different rca's and other subs I had laying around. Still getting this funny sounding bass. It is almost like playing a big midrange. I also have tried my kicker key47 l.o.c straight from the radio, as well as the sub outs on the back of the radio. It just sounds weird no matter what I do. I have been in car audio for a while but this one got me stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions, or insight where to start?

"On the amp, set the Subsonic 3/4 of the way"

If you are referring to the Subsonic Filter no do not. Those need to be set 2-3hz below the box tuning. With LPF at 80hz.

The amp is lpf only.
Screenshot_20211007-193832_Chrome.jpg

What head unit are you running mate? Did you check the RCA's as well if its not feeding full range signal? Also check your head unit setting as well. Sounds like its crossed too high to generate mid range frequencies. Let us know if its has been rectified. Cheers!

What head unit are you running mate? Did you check the RCA's as well if its not feeding full range signal? Also check your head unit setting as well. Sounds like its crossed too high to generate mid range frequencies. Let us know if its has been rectified. Cheers!
LOL. This was going to be my next question.. Check and make sure your RCAs are connected Sub set, and not Front or Rears. Its an honest mistake.. Ive done it more than once myself rushing.I like to run a different color of RCAs for subs generally so I dont get to mixed up if I dont tag them or mark them

Okay looking at the settings set the subsonic 2-3hz below the box tuning. Turn the bass boost off on the amplifier no one uses that they use the head unit for that or a DSP. That unit has a nice 13 eq built in and time alignment. Set the LPF at 80 hz on the amplifier and head unit. That head unit allows you to turn up the gain on the subwoofer and adjust slope and what not.

As I said you have an eq built in so you need to adjust that and stop using bass boost on the amplifier. Also what brand RCA's? If they are cheap with not a lot of shielding that may cause an issue as well. You say you have tried others but good quality ones do make a big difference.

I do know that head unit is only 2v with what they call a 5 channel setup but that shouldn't cause any sound like you are talking about. This isn't one of those prebuilt enclosures is it with horns or anything built into it? Can you post a picture of your subwoofer box and what not as well? Just asking out of curiosity.

Also some head units have in their subwoofer settings that you can set them to stereo or something like that. If it is set to stereo switch it that may end being that simple.

Last edited:
Okay looking at the settings set the subsonic 2-3hz below the box tuning. Turn the bass boost off on the amplifier no one uses that they use the head unit for that or a DSP. That unit has a nice 13 eq built in and time alignment. Set the LPF at 80 hz on the amplifier and head unit. That head unit allows you to turn up the gain on the subwoofer and adjust slope and what not.

As I said you have an eq built in so you need to adjust that and stop using bass boost on the amplifier. Also what brand RCA's? If they are cheap with not a lot of shielding that may cause an issue as well. You say you have tried others but good quality ones do make a big difference.

I do know that head unit is only 2v with what they call a 5 channel setup but that shouldn't cause any sound like you are talking about. This isn't one of those prebuilt enclosures is it with horns or anything built into it? Can you post a picture of your subwoofer box and what not as well? Just asking out of curiosity.

Also some head units have in their subwoofer settings that you can set them to stereo or something like that. If it is set to stereo switch it that may end being that simple.
I will give it this a shot. I never messed with bass boost in any system. Yes, it's a pre-built sub box, but not with horns. It is just a temporary setup until I get the time. I will definitely build a box after this troublesome install. In my other vehicle, I made the box and don't have this problem. I will check crossover slope as well as rca's. Any suggestions on rca's?

Last edited:
I will give it this a shot. I never messed with bass boost in any system. Yes, it's a pre-built sub box, but not with horns. It is just a temporary setup until I get the time. I will definitely build a box after this troublesome install. In my other vehicle, I made the box and don't have this problem. I will check crossover slope as well as rca's. Any suggestions on rca's?
I always use Stinger RCAs for my vehicles. I like the Zero Noise silver cables, though improved and better cables since as I use these also
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=360638498486
I like theyre Distribution and fused blocks also. XSscoprian is the same Co. and make good blocks and the like and I like theyre 40+ CFM Scroll Fans to keep amps running cool also

I always use Stinger RCAs for my vehicles. I like the Zero Noise silver cables, though improved and better cables since as I use these also
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=360638498486
I like theyre Distribution and fused blocks also. XSscoprian is the same Co. and make good blocks and the like and I like theyre 40+ CFM Scroll Fans to keep amps running cool also
Great info. I'm gonna give them a go, because the one's I have are not that level. Thanks for the insight!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...