Subs keep cutting in and out

chuckle490
10+ year member

I just purchased a new 12 inch kicker dual 4ohm 2010 cvr to pair with the one I have had since last November. I put them in a prefab box that is to specs and wired it up to a pioneer GM-D8601 800watts @ 1 ohm. The amp is 1 ohm stable. I set the gain using a DMM so its set properly. I also have 4 AWG power and ground wiring. After working fine for an hour two days ago and for about an hour and a half yesterday, this morning they just suddenly started cutting in and out till they just stopped playing completely. After I got home I tested them again and they working sporadically, continuing to cut in and out at low to medium volumes. I then scraped the paint off of the point where I ground my ground wire to see if that was the problem and it change nothing. The amp continues to have a blue light and I haven't seem it go into protect mode. What could be the problem? I Checked all my wiring and it seems to be fine. Please help! Thank you!

If you got one D4 sub with 1 D2 sub it will cut out check to make sure both impedance ratings are the same. Also, make sure all the ground wires are properly secured. If you have to, check the battery to see if its bad or the alternator either one.

I think the battery and alternator are both fine, my car is starting and driving just as well as ever. They are both dual 4 ohm subs wired at 1 ohm like I said. So If not all the copper wire strands are touching the fuse it could cause the amp to turn on but not power the subs? Also when the subs cut in they sound just as good as ever.

I had issues just like this a few weeks ago and the fuse was corroded and making a horrible connection, I'm gonna assume you used a packaged wiring kit and most of them use the plug-style fuses like all the others in your car. If so I'd suggest switching to ANL fuses, they are much easier to see and just as cheap. Make sure the ring terminal you used for the ground is soldered well or crimped with a LOT of pressure, I used a table vice for all my crimping seeing as I don't have a torch, solder, or flux.

also , need to know what car ? do you know the alt size?and battery size ?you may just be drawing to much power when playing the subs and the cars electrical cant keep up..is the power and ground wires for the amp ofc or cca ?

check RCA's. if the amp is staying on not shutting off or going into protect, then impedance, ground and fuses like everyone suggests is not the issue. Its probably a signal issue. Check your RCA's to see if the plug is loose or if you have pinched rca's. Check both ends of the RCA's from the deck to the amp. I've had friends pinch RCA's by flipping seats up and down and they go bad...

It's a 2002 ford ranger extended cab. I do not know the alternator or battery size. The power and ground wire is CCA. It could be the RCA, I have them running along the same side as the power wire. Will I need to replace he RCAs or can I use the same ones if they are pinched?

It's a 2002 ford ranger extended cab. I do not know the alternator or battery size. The power and ground wire is CCA. It could be the RCA, I have them running along the same side as the power wire. Will I need to replace he RCAs or can I use the same ones if they are pinched?
Its possible the RCA's could be reused, but if the cables in the RCA's have been torn then it's a good idea to replace them.

make sure you are using a solid ground also. just cuz you scratched off some paint on a piece of metal does not mean it will be a good ground. try a seat bolt or directly to the frame. also make sure the connection is tight and will not be going anywhere

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.