Subs keep blowing - Why?

The amp is not going into protect mode. The subs just stopped working in the middle of a song about half volume.

I installed a cheap set yesterday and they work. They are 2ohm subs so they are wired at 2ohm load.

I have attached a shot of the amp settings. I also disconnected the bass boost knob. As it stands, it doesn't sound very loud at all.

I turned off the bass EQ. So all bass settings are at 0 or off. I have the gain a little over half. Bass on stereo is is also 0. I do have the SW Level on the stereo at 3.

The bass is decent I can hear it OK.

If you guys think these settings are appropriate I'll just leave until I get a better amp and subs. Its just a little frustrating that some people have a similar setup and pounds really good and don't blow their subs.

As of now, the speakers sound good. They don't have any distortion or crackle. They don't look like they are being worked that hard so they should be good for now.

I turned off the bass EQ. So all bass settings are at 0 or off. I have the gain a little over half. Bass on stereo is is also 0. I do have the SW Level on the stereo at 3.
The bass is decent I can hear it OK.

If you guys think these settings are appropriate I'll just leave until I get a better amp and subs. Its just a little frustrating that some people have a similar setup and pounds really good and don't blow their subs.

As of now, the speakers sound good. They don't have any distortion or crackle. They don't look like they are being worked that hard so they should be good for now.

Every setup is different. Cars have different cabins, different air space. U can take one system out one car that sounded great and put it in another and it sound like crap. It's all in the install... First thing is get a nice ported box. Not a prefab but a good box from someone who knows what they are doing. It will make a huge difference

Ive been considering a ported box. I like tight clean bass for rock music and wasnt sure if ported was better the sealed.

Im just gonna leave as is for now and see if the subs survive.

Ok first step if your considering ported is to get a RTA app for your phone. Take your sub in the sealed box outside off the ground away from any walls and play pink noise at low volume and take a screenshot with the RTA app about the same distance away as it will be in the car, then put it back in your car and do the same at the same volume from the driver's seat. The difference between the two readings is your cabin gain. You can use that information to decide how you want the ported box tuned. You can tune it to the peak frequency for maximum volume, or tuned to flatten the frequency response. The RTA app can also help you to find the best position for the sub in your car.

Lol. Crazy how complicated this stuff gets. I just want the best bass for hard rock music. I seriously have the worst ear for music and cannot tell between quality unless they are side by side. Same goes for TV's.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the app.

Good bass for hard rock is actually pretty easy to get. For bass drums you really don't need to go below 40hz, in fact most PA subs don't do well below 40hz anyway. 40hz-80hz is what you need, and peak cabin gain for most cars falls between 50hz and 70hz, so a bandpass box tuned around there would be great for that while keeping it reasonably small. Hard rock needs really good midrange (not so much midbass) speakers up front, and decent tweeters.

I personally favor tapped horns, but they take up a lot of room, so not sure if thats your thing, but they give amazing sound for rock music.

Ive been considering a ported box. I like tight clean bass for rock music and wasnt sure if ported was better the sealed.
Im just gonna leave as is for now and see if the subs survive.
I listen to metal with a lot of double bass pedals that need a very strong and tight kick and fast as well. My box is ported and would not go back to a sealed EVER. Clean bass is all dependant on the box design. Dont read stupid outdated b*llsh*t from people who have no idea how to do a proper enclosure design. They buy pre-made boxes and start talking sh*t on ported boxes without even running a proper ported setup to begin with.

Plain and honest, you just arent loud enough as it stands. You need a proper system that hits hard 35hz to 80hz. The only way to do that is through enclosure design based on the sub's electro mechanical parameters and the vehicle's cabin gain. You are not gonna get anywhere buying pre-made boxes. Absolutely nowhere.

Take a picture of the sub setup and how its sitting in the vehicle.

just saying

i bought a $20 ported box from best buy and it kicks but with double bass kicks

it has 2 sa10's right now

falls flat on its face under 40hz but it was a fun little test and gets me by until i build a new one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.