Subs just quit playing

Participant count
  • Participant list

bk12321
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I was driving the other day bumpin pretty loud, and out of nowhere the subs just cut off completely.

1) I thought it was a fuse issue, so I checked the onboard fuse (good) and the fuse at battery (good)

2) I thought a wire might have come loose. Opened the trunk and the amp still powers on... but just to be sure I checked all the wires. Everything is completely untouched.

3) I thought I might have blown the subs. Unhooked the speaker wire from the amp and tested the impedance... still at 1 ohm just like it was before.

I have no idea what in the hell is wrong... any ideas??? Maybe something with the RCAs???

Setup is 2 12" type-r's, 4.5' cubic foot box tuned at 35hz, hifonics bxi-1610d

I tried a whole new pair of RCAs and there is still nothing. Like I said subs still read 1 ohm, amp turns on with 'GREEN' light, cap turns on and displays proper voltage.

so...

blown channel in amp? I tried 100 different combinations with 1/both rcas plugged in, nothing happened.

I tried a whole new pair of RCAs and there is still nothing. Like I said subs still read 1 ohm, amp turns on with 'GREEN' light, cap turns on and displays proper voltage.
so...

blown channel in amp? I tried 100 different combinations with 1/both rcas plugged in, nothing happened.
The amp is a monoblock amp meaning it only has 1 channel so if you blew a channel... you're totally screwed HAHA. Swap the amp out with a different one. Chances are you were getting some bad voltage drop and blew your amp. You really won't know until you swap it out with another one. Also, a common problem is a high resistance ground. You probably hit a bump, your box isn't secure and it jumped putting all of its weight on your crimp. The crimp pulled loose. It's still making connection but to turn the amp on but it's not a good ground anymore. I've seen this a lot of times, however usually you will get SOME sound, but the amp will go into protect at moderate volume levels. It usually doesn't just not play any music at all.

The amp is a monoblock amp meaning it only has 1 channel so if you blew a channel... you're totally screwed HAHA. Swap the amp out with a different one. Chances are you were getting some bad voltage drop and blew your amp. You really won't know until you swap it out with another one. Also, a common problem is a high resistance ground. You probably hit a bump, your box isn't secure and it jumped putting all of its weight on your crimp. The crimp pulled loose. It's still making connection but to turn the amp on but it's not a good ground anymore. I've seen this a lot of times, however usually you will get SOME sound, but the amp will go into protect at moderate volume levels. It usually doesn't just not play any music at all.
I realize this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif that's why im hoping its not blown, but I guess im gonna take it out this weekend and see whats up. Its still under warranty, but I doubt the warranty will cover a blown channel. Later on I'll call and see. I did check the ground, and from what I remember, all the connections are still secure.

I was planning on upgrading in the next couple months anyways, so if anything, this will give me a VERY good reason to... lol. Thanks for the help.

I realize this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif that's why im hoping its not blown, but I guess im gonna take it out this weekend and see whats up. Its still under warranty, but I doubt the warranty will cover a blown channel. Later on I'll call and see. I did check the ground, and from what I remember, all the connections are still secure.
I was planning on upgrading in the next couple months anyways, so if anything, this will give me a VERY good reason to... lol. Thanks for the help.
Well if you DID blow the amp, it was either from turning your gain up too high, or low voltage. Only you know which. I don't know your level of knowledge but make sure you know how to set your gain. Then make sure your electrical system can handle the new amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.