subs going in and out?

theBiggVan
10+ year member

i dont know if the problem is the amp or the woofer. i hav a pioneer gm500t a boss cap10 and a Kenwood KFC-XW12. but the kenwood isnt the problem. i had the amp connected to a BOSS P126DVC 12" 2300W PHANTOM.

could i be asking for too much from the amp with the boss sub?

i had the boss sub hooked up and all day it was fine. it hits hard with no distortion. when i was driving home my bass just stopped. when i went back to check, the light on my amp was blinking. when i looked closer it was going out when the bass of the song hit and coming back right after.

i got home and took out that sub and switched it with the kenwood. no problems at all.

this had happened 2 nights before too and i did the exact same thing only after putting in the kenwood i had switched it back out to the boss and it was fine again until tonight.

the rms for the kenwood is 400 which matches the amp but the rms for the boss sub is 1150. i didtn think that underpowering would be a problem.

i read that a amp would kick out if the ground wasnt secure but why would it kick out for the kenwood and not the boss. also if the boss had blown out 2 nights before would it have still been able to sound exactly the same as it did before?

how do i test this to see which one of my devices is the problem?

my cap is reading between 14 and 12 depending on the song playing

get rid of the cap. check all connections on you power and ground: disconnect, inspect, reconnect. make sure the connections on the sub are tight, inspect tinsels. make sure all adjustments on the amp are correct(subsonic, low pass, high pass, bass boost). if your amp is going into protect during heavy bass turn your gains down a little.

just curious why everyone tells people to get rid of a cap? if they have done the big 3 and have the proper batteries in the car, a cap will not hurt anything at all. its an extra source of power storage and helps when the amp draws a large amount at any given time. people are acting as if a cap will cause problems and they dont. its just a lot of people use a cap to solve problems which they dont do either, but telling someone to drop a cap as a way of fixing a problem is just dumb and personal opinions should not be used when assisting someone to detect issues.

just curious. y the cap?
99% of the people on here don't dig the cap. If they need more powa storage they'll go with a battery. But that's another story... As for your issue with the sub it could be your Kenwood is only drawing 4 ohm from the amp as it's a single 4 ohm sub. The Boss' only come in Dual 4 so you're probably running it at 2 ohm. If you're running it bridged to that Pioneer amp it isn't stable bridged down to 2. It will cut out and eventually fry, along with the sub.

i do want to hear that other story lol

So if i was going to power this sub or maybe two of them what do i need to look for in a new amp?

for power storage and this is the thing i never understood, if i get something that stores power, wouldnt it be hurting my system because when the amp uses power from the storage source would the alt charge back the source immediately draining more power from my alt?

i got the cap so i wouldnt kill my alt. if i were to upgrade and remove the cap and upgrade the battery would my alt be ok?

just curious why everyone tells people to get rid of a cap? if they have done the big 3 and have the proper batteries in the car, a cap will not hurt anything at all. its an extra source of power storage and helps when the amp draws a large amount at any given time. people are acting as if a cap will cause problems and they dont. its just a lot of people use a cap to solve problems which they dont do either, but telling someone to drop a cap as a way of fixing a problem is just dumb and personal opinions should not be used when assisting someone to detect issues.
i got the cap because somebody told me i would kill my alt. if i got a better battery would this aid my alt or make things worse?

99% of the people on here don't dig the cap. If they need more powa storage they'll go with a battery. But that's another story... As for your issue with the sub it could be your Kenwood is only drawing 4 ohm from the amp as it's a single 4 ohm sub. The Boss' only come in Dual 4 so you're probably running it at 2 ohm. If you're running it bridged to that Pioneer amp it isn't stable bridged down to 2. It will cut out and eventually fry, along with the sub.
ok just saw this diagram. should i wire it like this?

1_sub_DVC_4_ohm_2ch_bridged.jpg

i do want to hear that other story lol
So if i was going to power this sub or maybe two of them what do i need to look for in a new amp?

for power storage and this is the thing i never understood, if i get something that stores power, wouldnt it be hurting my system because when the amp uses power from the storage source would the alt charge back the source immediately draining more power from my alt?

i got the cap so i wouldnt kill my alt. if i were to upgrade and remove the cap and upgrade the battery would my alt be ok?
For now you're only going to running at most 380 watts out of that amp. you don't need a capacitor or extra battery till you get into the 1000-1200 range. You'll be fine with everything stock and 4 gauge wire. Hell, you'd probably be alright with 8 gauge. You're just not drawing that much power right now to worry about it. If I were you I'd just run the Boss on one of the channels (it's stable at 2 ohm on the separate channels) or run the Kenwood. You're only going to get 190 or so from one of the channels for the Boss as opposed to running the Kenwood bridged and getting 380 (which should sound decent) provided the enclosure you're using is good.

ok just saw this diagram. should i wire it like this?
1_sub_DVC_4_ohm_2ch_bridged.jpg
You can do that but like I said then you're still only getting around 200 or so watts. Why are you deadset on the Boss. If I had the choice of the 2 you're running I'd run the Kenwood. Neither are real good subs but that Boss is real garbage!

For now you're only going to running at most 380 watts out of that amp. you don't need a capacitor or extra battery till you get into the 1000-1200 range. You'll be fine with everything stock and 4 gauge wire. Hell, you'd probably be alright with 8 gauge. You're just not drawing that much power right now to worry about it. If I were you I'd just run the Boss on one of the channels (it's stable at 2 ohm on the separate channels) or run the Kenwood. You're only going to get 190 or so from one of the channels for the Boss as opposed to running the Kenwood bridged and getting 380 (which should sound decent) provided the enclosure you're using is good.
i might be buying another amp next week i want to give the Boss atleas 900 rms or maybe 600 to each when i get the other sub. when i do this you sadi get an extra battery. do you mean two batteries in my car or replace the one i have? and if 2 batteries how would i set that up?

You can do that but like I said then you're still only getting around 200 or so watts. Why are you deadset on the Boss. If I had the choice of the 2 you're running I'd run the Kenwood. Neither are real good subs but that Boss is real garbage!
im not deadset on the Boss it just hits alot harder. i dont need a $400+ system i just want good sound which is what i was getting from the Boss. i was going to add another because it only costed me about $50

also if i have it bridged why would i only be getting 200 watts if bridged power is 400 rms?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.